Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Default Piping with a Temp Dental Crown

A search for threads on piping after receiving a temporary dental crown yielded a few promising results (Root Canal & Piping, Problems with Dental Work??? (Crowns), and Piping after Dental Work ), but I thought I'd pose an additional query here as we all inevitably think about our dental health in relation to piping.

I recently had a root canal treatment followed by a temporary crown on a premolar. The treatment itself went fine and I expect to get my permanent crown in a few weeks -- unfortunately I am in self-quarantine due to living with a family member that's tested positive for this blasted covid-19 virus.

The general consensus from the previous threads on piping after dental work is that I should be fine as long as I'm not biting or otherwise grinding the blowpipe into the spot where the temporary crown is. As far as I can tell, premolars don't have much to do with mouthpiece placement, but I'd always prefer to be safe! Recognizing that many folks here are not dental professionals, I welcome any and all personal anecdotes from folks who have been in a similar bind. Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Piping with a Temp Dental Crown

I would gamble on a Reed Wrangler Ergonomic Mouthpiece.

You may (most probably shall) find that it works wonders. (!! :)

Many have.

Bon Chance!!

Old 04-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Thanks for the suggestion, Pip! I've seen several raving endorsements of the Reed Wrangler here on the forums, and will certainly give it some thought.

Best,
Joe

Old 04-14-2020, 05:25 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Diodato View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Pip! I've seen several raving endorsements of the Reed Wrangler here on the forums, and will certainly give it some thought.

Best,
Joe
I had a ‘thin’ night guard made up by an orthodontist..clear plastic..’invisible’..;’twas easy for me when I had a similar situation because he was the same guy who had fitted me with braces years before ..with lifetime guards and replacements.
But I’d say from experience ...you might find it extremely surprising ...even using a soft mouthpiece....how very little ‘bite’ pressure will dislodge the temp cap. Happened to me once just munching some crusty brioche....and it was a real front tooth that cracked....
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Ask your healthcare provider.

And while you are there, you can ask the doc how to play a crunluath. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Diodato View Post
...., I welcome any and all personal anecdotes from folks who have been in a similar bind. Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited by DNorwood; 04-14-2020 at 05:46 AM.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
But I’d say from experience ...you might find it extremely surprising ...even using a soft mouthpiece....how very little ‘bite’ pressure will dislodge the temp cap. Happened to me once just munching some crusty brioche....and it was a real front tooth that cracked....
As I suspected, methinks the best course of action is to play it safe until I'm able to sort out the permanent crown with my dentist. Unfortunately my area (NYC) is one of the worst hit by the pandemic and I suspect it will be some time before I'm able to get back in the dentist's chair. It felt pretty darn secure the way they finish up the temp crown, but these things are temporary for a reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood
Ask your healthcare provider.
That would be the prudent approach. I'll have to poke around to see if I can find a number to contact the doctor directly! Even the simplest of phone calls has become an arduous process in these strange times that we're in.

Hoping that you both are well.

- Joe

Old 04-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you aren't biting down directly on the crown then I can't see why it would be an issue. In any case, you shouldn't be biting down with any force while playing.

You can get temporary fixing kits to reattach crowns that have fallen off - they use the same adhesive your temporary crown is attached with. Given the situation, you might want to have one of these kits on hand anyway given that it might be quite a bit longer than usual before you get the permanent repair done.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
If you aren't biting down directly on the crown then I can't see why it would be an issue. In any case, you shouldn't be biting down with any force while playing.
Exactly this. There should be no 'biting force' required to hold your blow stick in position. Correct length and set-up should help remove this, however there are some folk who are just 'bitey' folk.

Playing wise, I'd agree with Calum and say crack on. I'm no dentist though. I'd just let your own feeling be your guidance.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Madpiper13
Forum Member

I had work on a front tooth over the course of one year; eventually getting an implant-6 different trips to the dentist.
I did have to take some time off around a couple of the surgeries (longest being a week I think), but just followed my Dentist’s recommendations.
What made it easier, I found, was using an oval plastic mouthpiece (Airstream Big Bore?)-less embouchure required to maintain blowing pressure; I could definitively feel the increased sensitivity around the site initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madpiper13 is offline   Reply With Quote