Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Funkee Munkee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Thread owner as moderator???

Is there anyway to make it so the person creating the thread can become the owner and moderator (with the 'umbrella' moderators still intact)?

This would accomplish many things.
1) It would help the poster seeking serious information to adjust the tone of the thread.
2) It would allow silliness to happen if the thread owner does not mind it.
3) It could minimize, eliminate thread hijacks.
4) It eases the workload of the assigned moderator.
Funkee Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default Re: Thread owner as moderator???

Hi Shawn,

I don't really understand the feeling that one person 'owns' a thread? It seems to me that once started, it becomes a public exchange of information and ideas. The trivialization (FLOABW) of threads seems to only happen in the Beer Tent Forum, and this is why we ask people to post in the best forum for the thread, and why we (I) move so many threads out of the Beer Tent.

I've even had to change some editing options for members because people have, in the past, gone back and removed all their content from threads; when they realized their argument was invalid, or when they changed their mind, or when they got frustrated.. This left interesting threads looking VERY weird..

I never did allow members to remove their own threads, but I have seen (in other forums) how incredibly frustrating that can be - a vibrant discussion suddenly disappears.

So - yes, there are options that would allow the sort of functions you'd like to see - but real world experiences have shown that (at least in my view) the way we have it here is the best way for all concerned.

And - it is A LOT of work to keep the moderator actions sort of consistent, and managed - we all work and communicate to do that, and I know (from behind the scenes) that it is A LOT more challenging than it appears - I really don't want to have to train tons of people in doing this..

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been in forums and chatrooms with this kind of moderating--it didn't work out so well. If anything it made more work for the official moderators as people got angry and complained about being thrown out of threads/chats for whatever reason--most of the reasons were unjustified and came down to "I don't like so-n-so, so I'm gonna ban them from chatting in my discussion." I'd like to think those here at the Dunsire forums are less childish than that, but with over 7,000 members it's just easier to have the blanket moderators and leave it at that. Good job, by the way guyses--awesome forum!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Funkee Munkee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Alrighty. Just an idea I had.

Thanks for the response.
Funkee Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote