Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default PPOD - retiring

In 2001 I bought my first really good Digital SLR (they had just come onto the market) - and after a short time I thought it would be fun to share some of my piping related photos - in the new Piping Photo Of the Day (PPOD). Five years, and nearly 2,000,000 viewers later - it has indeed been a lot of fun :woohoo: .

But everything ends, and the PPOD is about to retire. I will share two more weeks of photos (from the MSA concert last Friday) - and then the PPOD is done. The good news with this announcement is that (finally!) I am creating simple archives of all of the PPOD images. The navigation is not going to be the best, but the archive will be available for all. Here is the start of that archive:
PPOD year 1 archive

During the 'piping season' I now receive way more photos than I could ever share in the current format; I have been tempted to have multiple photos for each day, but I decided that just sounds like too much work. The fact is a much better solution to this 'problem' is already in place here - our Photo Gallery Forum - where you can share and discuss photos - any time, no need to wait for me.

I will be using the Photo Gallery forum for my photos, and I invite you to do the same - 5 years and a couple of millions viewers of the PPOD tell me that piping photos are popular with 'us' -
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
FD Piper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: PPOD - retiring

Bob,
Thanks for all the great pics over the years!
FD Piper
Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Eric Wampler
Forum Regular

Well, the PPOD has been a bright spot in my Monday mornings for some time now. I will be sorry to see it go. Thanks, Bob, for the opportunity to view so many great piping-related pics!

Eric W.
Eric Wampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Thanks guys.

The good news, I hope, is that we will have all five years in archives. I plan to do two more regular PPOD (new photos), and then introduce the archives for the next few weeks, and then when done, the PPOD link will go to a link to the 5 years of archives.

Plus - as the mood hits me, I will share my photos in the Gallery here, and I hope lots of others will start to do that too.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
Rob Gereghty
Forum Regular

It would be interesting to see who is the most photographed person in the PPOD over the years...
excluding your kids of course !..
My money is on Jack Lee..

Cheers,

"It's a simple yes or no question"
Rob Gereghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Phil Lenihan
Holy smoking keyboard!

I too will miss the bright spot on Monday morning. Seven glimpse of piping from around the world. Thanks Bob.

Cheers! PHIL

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot
Another day with no plans to use Calculus
Phil Lenihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

WOuld be kind of a challenge to look it up Rob,(most photographed) but it would be very interesting - I am sure it would be, at least from my photos, folks from the Pacific Northwest - but I have actually tried to spread the photos around - bands, events, people.. often cute kids get photographed (and PPOD'd) quite a bit, year to year..

My guess would be my daughters are probably up there - what can the proud dad do..

Most of the pro pipers from our area, all of the bands, many of the youngsters - Jack, certainly because he is tireless, and everywhere, Alan, Andrew B., Jori, Terry, well, a lot (!) of the SFU folks, because in addition to the band, concerts, and contest, they compete solo, teach, and judge (and most of - people that do funny things... humm.... after nearly 5 years, 1400-1500 photos, wow, lots of memories..
Old 02-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
MacBubba
Holy smoking keyboard!

So, what new hobby are you going to share with us now, Bob?

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. - Kurt Vonnegut

My CV
MacBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Aaron M
Holy smoking keyboard!

I enjoy browsing through the archives and I look forward to viewing the other 4 years...

What will happen to the wonderful PPOD sponsor, The Pipers Hut?

-Ann Landers
Aaron M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

An interesting question Aaron.

The archive will retain the links to the sponsors - but not the banner - but the link and text should be a good bonus.

I plan to roll out the archives 'officially' one week at a time - and then just leave it all alone - so the sponsor stuff will be there for good. I think, in terms of exposure, it will be a bonus for them.

I do also plan to contact the sponsor, and offer something to them too.. You're absolutely right 'wonderful PPOD sponsor'.

And Cameron - new hobby ... humm... it is sort of that way isn't it.. .. still taking photos, and I'll share them in the Gallery Forum in the future, and of course on the BCPA site as always..