Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Pipes on Ebay Forum?

What about an "Pipes on Ebay" forum here on BDF?

It could be a place to post links to pipes on Ebay with questions, oppinions, advice, warnings or recommendations.

I think if it saves even one of us from getting burned then I would be worth it. It might even promote a bit more honesty among some sellers, knowing that there a knowledgeable folks watching. I wouldn't mind moderating it.

Any comments?

Bob?....

Bill Carr
Bill Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Troy G
Forum Member

Default Re: Pipes on Ebay Forum?

This is a great idea! There are so many people out there trying to scam people. I can't tell you how many times I've e-mailed Ebay and bidders about obvious and subtle frauds, but with almost 900 Ebay transactions I've come across most of them!

I've also noticed quite a scam in the P @ D ads. People want to send out cashier's cheques which quite often are incredible fakes. There are even some who say things like: "an associate in the US owes me some money. It happens to be more than the cost of the pipes. Can I have him pay you with a cashier's cheque, and you can send the balance via Western Union?" In this case, you end up paying someone to steal your pipes! If someone really has the cash to buy pipes, then he/she can send a wire transfer so the funds arrive in your bank. As Yogi Bear said: "cash, why it's as good as money!"
Troy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

That would be a good idea.

Maybe sellers (who are members of the forum or frequent visitors) could post a link to that forum. Or members could message the seller asking to put the link on their auctions, to help stop scammers. It'd be easy to find the scammers, as they would always refuse to put the link on the auction.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well you can already post ebay pipes on the Trading Post if you are the seller, but it is not possible to reply there, so there can be no discussion around such sets. I do think if you are selling a set on ebay that you should post them on the Trading Post. We might need some rules to make sure sellers don't flood the "Pipes on ebay" forum with there own links and to sort out ebay seller who just join BDF to list there own stuff.

You can also ask technical questions in the Technique and Instrument forum but it's not really the place to discuss the reputation of sellers, buyers and such.

Topics that could fall into to "Pipes on ebay" forum might be:

Recommend good sellers
Warn against bad sellers
Scam warnings
Suspect stolen goods
Post links to interesting pipes and bagpipe related stuff on Ebay. Not everyone uses the keyword "bagpipe" in ebay listings.
Have a laugh at some of the funny quotes from unknowing or dishonest sellers.
Get some input as to the value of specific pipes listed.
Post anything you see wrong with pipes listed on ebay that others might not see (mismatched drone parts, cracks, etc)
Ask or give opinions on the authenticity of pipes listed on Ebay.
Etc.. etc..

I did a search on BDF for the word "ebay" and came up with 300 hits in the archives and about 250 spread out in the open forums so it's obviously a popular subject.

Bill Carr
Old 07-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
jescanlan
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I have a young piper and saw an Ebay listing for McDeura pipes? I was unable to find any info regarding these pipes? Would appreciate any info.
jescanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Cowgo
Forum Member

This is an excellent idea. It works very well for the tuba forum I'm in: http://forums.chisham.com/

It puts those scams before an audience of folks who know better. Often times there are mystery instruments that get identified and some rare gems are uncovered.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Aaron M
Holy smoking keyboard!

My only concern is when one of these 'rare gems', or really anything that is worthy of bidding, comes along, then what happens? Does it turn into a bidding war (especially the rare gems), only now everyone on here knows about it, too?

If I found a rare set of vintage pipes where the seller didn't fully understand the value of them, then I wouldn't want the one or two other people that also found them (who have no intention to bid) posting here so that it ruins the whole deal.

I think if people aren't sure what they are bidding on at ebay then they shouldn't be bidding, or they can ask for advice in the beer tent, or T&I.

Just my thoughts (which ultimately mean nothing...)

-Ann Landers
Aaron M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Cowgo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron M:
If I found a rare set of vintage pipes where the seller didn't fully understand the value of them, then I wouldn't want the one or two other people that also found them (who have no intention to bid) posting here so that it ruins the whole deal.
Hey, I guess you didn't get that memo, we're not bidding against each other!

http://www.bobdunsire.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=44;t=001752

Although I share your concerns on a selfish personal level, I was speaking about uncovering gems for the piping world in general.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron M:
My only concern is when one of these 'rare gems', or really anything that is worthy of bidding, comes along, then what happens? Does it turn into a bidding war (:
I don't think anyone ever found a rare gem on Ebay and was the only one to know about it. There are simply too many "ebay bagpipe watchers" for that to happen.

Anyway.. I'm still all for the new forum and I assume Bob is following this thread and will hopefully make a decision soon.

My only concern is how the forum sponsors will respond. It could be seen as promoting Ebay and giving sellers there an unfair advantage. Understandably so....

Bob?

Bill
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Still thinking about this, but ...

The main concerns have been mentioned - I don't want to duplicate forums, or have forums that don't have too much activity. And from here I'm not seeing an indication we would see much activity in a new forum for this.

We have the Beer Tent for that sort of discussion; the Trading post for selling / finding stuff; and the T&I forum for discussion on the Instrument.

I do understand the reasons for a new EBay forum, but it is (still) not clear to me that we have enough (unique) content for that sort of forum - Instrument related discussion as an example, do not need another forum, and splitting into two would only cause confusion. For selling (or auctioning) stuff - again we're well set with an existing forum. And the T&I forum works well to I think.

I will continue to watch this, but so far I'm not seeing answers that tell me we need another forum for this subject area.

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote