Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Kevin F. Gilstrap
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Zoom H2 trouble

You guys, I have a Zoom H2 that has been awesome! However, I made some recordings the other day that had some split second flashes of static, or some kind of distortion in the play back.

Note, all the settings are the exact same as every other time I've made recordings with absolutely NO trouble at all. But all of the sudden, now I'm getting these really nasty blasts of static. Kind of reminds me of when your driving out of town and you start to lose your FM radio station and get a millisecond of static.

I wonder if it could be the memory card is on it's way out. Could it be that the mic is blown out? Anyone else had similar trouble? I need to get this thing back in operation.

Thanks!
Kevin F. Gilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Nate the Deaf Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Zoom H2 trouble

Kevin,

I seem to remember that there is something about how to deal with "popping" in the instructions. You may want to take a look at the documentation online for it.

Nate
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Kevin F. Gilstrap
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, Nate! I'm checking now.

K
Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Kevin F. Gilstrap
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't really want to admit to this, but I don't want anyone thinking that the H2 is anything less than an excellent product. Remember when I said that I had all the setting just the same? Well, all except the gain. Sheesh. I had the fricking gain set on H instead of L. So no wonder. I set it back to L and it's working just fine.

My bad.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Kevin J. Auld
Forum Gold Medal

I've made that mistake myself, only I accidentally flicked the Gain switch to Low. I was thinking the mics were shot, or the battery was dead, etc etc... then I noticed the Gain switch and had a 'palm to forehead' moment.

I've been noticing that my H2 is struggling to fast forward or rewind through tracks, if I want to skip to the middle of a track or something. Moving from track to track is fine, but it is incredibly slow scanning through an individual track.

Any ideas?
Kevin J. Auld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

This is actually one feature where the H2 is superior to the H4. The H2 has that slider switch, so if you want to record PC and pipes in one recording session you can just use the slider, but the H4 has no similar switch.

The switch, btw, isn't gain, but microphone sensitivity. Gain is controlled by the buttons on the unit's face. I leave my gain on 100 and use the slider switch and I can get useful recordings of anything. If it was an important recording then it would be good to adjust the gain to optimize the recording levels.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J. Auld View Post
I've been noticing that my H2 is struggling to fast forward or rewind through tracks, if I want to skip to the middle of a track or something. Moving from track to track is fine, but it is incredibly slow scanning through an individual track.

Any ideas?
Kevin have updated the firmware?

You can download it here
Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Gene Mitchell
Forum Gold Medal

Hey Guys,
While we are on the subject of the H2 I had a question. I owned one a while back and it was good although I couldnt figure out optimal placement and settings to record the pipes. Also when I loaded up to my computer it was really low I couldn't hear it too well. How do you guys go about doing it. I know there was a setting for 180 degrees and 90 degrees I never knew how to set it up.

Gene Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccallumpiper View Post
Hey Guys,
While we are on the subject of the H2 I had a question. I owned one a while back and it was good although I couldnt figure out optimal placement and settings to record the pipes. Also when I loaded up to my computer it was really low I couldn't hear it too well. How do you guys go about doing it. I know there was a setting for 180 degrees and 90 degrees I never knew how to set it up.

I set the gain at 100 and the mic sensitivity to low. I put it on a table and stand 6 to 12 feet away. I have only ever used the default microphone configuration.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I set the gain at 100 and the mic sensitivity to low. I put it on a table and stand 6 to 12 feet away. I have only ever used the default microphone configuration.
For full pipes, gain at 100 and mic sensitivity to low. Nose height, anywhere from a couple feet to 6-8, as I walk around the bedroom, plugged into the outlet. I've noticed that it performs better plugged in as opposed to battery operated. I'm not saying it doesn't perform well with batteries, just that it is better plugged in, in my experience. I only use the 'front' mics, in hopes of not catching the bounce off the wall into the 'back' mics.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote