Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Bellows stiff

Same issues with my bellows from McCallum. Great construction but the hinge seems to be made from the same material as a piper's cross belt and certainly will last the test of time.

I'm finding that the wood from the bellows is actually coming into contact with the leather causing binding or stopping of the full bellows action. I was thinking of just filing the leather thinner or notching it at the touch point to allow easier function.

I can always buy an old worn in belt if I bugger this up. From experience, this type of leather doesn't break in well unless a million sweaty soggy parades soften the leather. I'm not a chronic player so by the time it breaks in I'll have no arms left to play with i think....

Thoughts...

HM
Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don’t have any bellows experience...but fwiw there are Fred Morrison videos on the Mccallum site ...discussing how to’s for ‘his’ branded small pipes by Mccallum....and there his words of wisdom about the bag/bellows. Having A good stiff,sturdy leather bag was the essence of Fred’s guidance.

Freddy Freddy he’s our man...if he can’t do it no one can!
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
mattpiper
Forum Silver Medal

My McCallum bellows (that came with my Morrison Reelpipes) are so stiff I am left literally bruised on both torso and arm for days afterward. No exaggeration. Luckily I have a set of Daye bellows that I can use instead with all my cauldwind pipes.

I think I'll try mink oil and see if it helps at all, as the McCallum bellows are very attractive. I would love to use them, but they are not currently playable.
P/M of Metroplex United Pipe Band
mattpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=mattpiper;1325723

I am left literally bruised on both torso and arm for days afterward. No exaggeration.

//

...sounds like you might not have watched Fred Morrison’s aforementioned ‘how to’ video ...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
mattpiper
Forum Silver Medal

I have not. That being said, the reelpipes are my not first bellows rodeo, having been playing various bellows-driven pipes (uilleann pipes, smallpipes) since 2005. So I didn't expect to need a "lesson" in how to operate a set! But, I'm heading over to watch now...
P/M of Metroplex United Pipe Band
mattpiper is offline   Reply With Quote