Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Forum Related Announcements > FYI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FYI No discussion here, just information.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Default Another record month for the Forums!

I try not to bore everyone (too much) with my ‘fun with numbers’, but it has been 6 months since my last FYI post on forum visit statistics . The Forums are now 30 months old, and amazingly we’re still growing, and seeing record levels of activity nearly every month.

As most of you know the Forum’s activity and bandwidth forced us to migrate to a high speed dedicated server over a year ago, and last January we upgraded servers again, also adding a hardware firewall. Thanks (very much!) to our sponsors I am able to pay the fees associated with this big scary web site, but with our continuing growth, new ‘challenges’ pop up often (yes, I know there are a few problems with activity levels now - darn). Bandwidth is now also a significant monthly expense, but thanks (again) to our sponsors (!) I can pay those fees. I want to thank all of you for supporting the sponsors that support this web site – this is working for them I'm told, for the Forums I know, and for all of us (thanks!).

This past month there were more than 694,000 visits to the Forum home page, an average of over 22,000 home page visits each day, but our busy days (usually Monday and Tuesday) run 30 –35,000 visits, and our slow days (Saturday and Sunday) are often only half that number. We now have more than 131,000 posts, with hundreds being added each day, and we’re seeing 60 to 80 (peaks of over 100) active threads each day. We usually have around 90-130 people viewing the forums at any time (well, any 5-minute time), and our latest record of 205 was set last month too. Thanks to all of you! I think we’re doing great, and I know we’re having some kind of fun.

Thinking of fun, sharing a bobdunsire.com server statistic (Forums, PPOD, Directory) will allow you too to appreciate a great ‘fun with strange statistics’ joke made last month. A claim of being the most popular bagpipe related site on the web* was made by a site that has (AFAIK) never had a visible visit counter, and this site doesn’t even show up in the top 100 sites for bagpipe(s) on Google. With this background… last month alone bobdunsire.com had more hits** than this ‘most popular’*** site claims to have had in their entire online history of nearly 5 years [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] , (this is in fact a well known tactic within the webmaster community – simply install this plug-in in your own browser, search for and visit your site, and watch your website’s popularity climb! :woohoo: ).

Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor