Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Lee and Sons vs Gannaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I appreciate the fact that the Lee bag can be seasoned with airtight, not having to deal with conditioning and priming and trying to get product from Australia. I like Gannaway, but I'd buy Lee.
The Gannaway bags don't require conditioning. They need an initial application of primer (supplied with the new bag) and after that you just season them occasionally, maybe three or four times a year in my case. I've been playing Gannaway bags for seven or eight years and have had no difficulty getting the Gannaway seasoning from various piping retailers here in Canada. Perhaps the retail situation is different in Texas. The Highlander seasoning costs a bit more than Airtight, but you use very little at a time and a bottle lasts me well over a year, even with two bags. As for the primer, although Gannaway recommends priming once a year, I have never found it necessary to re-prime my bags. The primer is also generally available from North American retailers in case I do need it. I've certainly never had to "try to get product from Australia". That's the retailer's job. (In any case, Gannaway bags are a product of New Zealand, which, as an Australian friend of mine once pointed out when I referred to it as being in his "neck of the woods", is some 1200 miles from Oz.)

Last edited by acadianpiper; 07-16-2015 at 01:34 PM.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I currently play on a zipper-only Gannaway and really like it. It's been going strong for 8 years or so, however, I can see that it is on its way out.

My band is going all sheep and goat bags from Lee, so I'm soon going to be switching out my Gannaway for a Lee zipper goat bag, which I already have. I'm just waiting on the Airtight to come in so I can have an airtight bag once it's tied in.

From initial observations, it is indeed longer than the Gannaway medium (it's also a medium), and the stock holes have to be cut by the user (at least for the bag I have).

I've tried a band mate's pipes with the Lee goat, and it feels really nice - very thick skin. A different shape than the Gannaway, but still comfortable.

The only downside I've noticed with the Gannaway is because of the way the seam is, the bag gets very round when full (similar to a synthetic bag), as opposed to the sewn seam on the Lee (or the old L&M bags) which keep the bag slightly oblong, which I find slightly more comfortable.

I know you're specifically looking at the cowhide Lee, but we're going away from cow in the band, so I can't tell you anything about them.

Personally, if it wasn't for the band, I'd be getting another Gannaway - thought about the Gannaway sheep that you can find in some places, but you gotta go with what the band does.

If you have the freedom to go with whatever bag you like, I say get another Gannaway.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianpiper View Post
(In any case, Gannaway bags are a product of New Zealand, which, as an Australian friend of mine once pointed out when I referred to it as being in his "neck of the woods", is some 1200 miles from Oz.)
So NZ is to Australia as FL is to West TX. Gotcha. My bad. I shall not forget Gannaway is NZ. I shall not speak so loosely regarding the interchange of conditioning and seasoning either.

Having to "reactivate" the Gannaway seasoning with water just seems odd, I find I have to do this on occasion where bags seasoned with airtight do not. I recall old L&M bags were advertised as airtight without seasoning, the seasoning was really just for moisture control (think that's right). Gannaway definitely requires seasoning to ensure airtightness. My hope is that Lee is more like L&M in my experience than Gannaway. Too bad L&M aren't producing bags like they used to.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 07-16-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #14
Arthur M.
Forum Member

Default Re: Lee and Sons vs. Gannaway

Just thought you should know: New Zealand is not Australia. There is still (as far as I know) allowance in the Australian Federal Constitution to have NZ join in with Oz, but that seems less likely as time goes by.

Cheers,

Arthur M.
Arthur M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
So NZ is to Australia as FL is to West TX. Gotcha. My bad. I shall not forget Gannaway is NZ. I shall not speak so loosely regarding the interchange of conditioning and seasoning either.

Having to "reactivate" the Gannaway seasoning with water just seems odd, I find I have to do this on occasion where bags seasoned with airtight do not. I recall old L&M bags were advertised as airtight without seasoning, the seasoning was really just for moisture control (think that's right). Gannaway definitely requires seasoning to ensure airtightness. My hope is that Lee is more like L&M in my experience than Gannaway. Too bad L&M aren't producing bags like they used to.
A friend/adult student piper hadn't played his pipes in over a year. They had a sealed G'way bag I had tied on ( and he played regularly) about 8 years prior. When he was starting up again with pipes I swished a 1/2 cup of water around inside the inflated stoppered bag,drained off for a few minutes....shazzaam,....the Naill pipes and bag played like new. In the 8 years he'd had that bag only the regular G'way seasoning had been used...only 2-3 times. Nice bags those Gannaway's. Ditto for the old days of original L&M bags too..... I've got 2-3 old ones moulding away in my cellar.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #16
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
A friend/adult student piper hadn't played his pipes in over a year. They had a sealed G'way bag I had tied on ( and he played regularly) about 8 years prior. When he was starting up again with pipes I swished a 1/2 cup of water around inside the inflated stoppered bag,drained off for a few minutes....shazzaam,....the Naill pipes and bag played like new. In the 8 years he'd had that bag only the regular G'way seasoning had been used...only 2-3 times. Nice bags those Gannaway's. Ditto for the old days of original L&M bags too..... I've got 2-3 old ones moulding away in my cellar.
So, a Gannaway bag will be fine with only being played once or twice a week? I'm currently in a situation where I can't practice daily, which is the reason I rashly got rid of my Gannaway originally.
sirjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #17
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjackalope View Post
So, a Gannaway bag will be fine with only being played once or twice a week? I'm currently in a situation where I can't practice daily, which is the reason I rashly got rid of my Gannaway originally.
Correct.... After only a few minutes of playing it will evolve/improve,.... assuming properly tied in and no leaks othewise. But ,imho,....I think a hybrid bannatyne will suit you better and with almost zero maintenance.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Correct.... After only a few minutes of playing it will evolve/improve,.... assuming properly tied in and no leaks othewise. But ,imho,....I think a hybrid bannatyne will suit you better and with almost zero maintenance.
Thanks for the tip. Since I already have the synthetic Bannatyne I think I'll just stick with it and use that for now.
sirjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjackalope View Post
Thanks for the tip. Since I already have the synthetic Bannatyne I think I'll just stick with it and use that for now.
The plain synthetic bag doesn't have the same heft as a hybrid bag. To overcome this for some students i took an old leather bag,opend it up ....and made a 'doggie jacket' to drape over the synthetic. I cut the neck back somewhat and enlarged the stock holes a bit using a small juice glass as a template for a razor knife. It worked well and is concealed under the bag cover.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 AM   #20
mcaskill
Forum Member

Default Re: Lee and Sons vs. Gannaway

I have played both bags. I had serious issues with the Lee bag and have seen several others with similar problems, granted that was early on in their development.

With the Gannaway bags I have never used the primer. I was advised early on that it seals the bag and can cause moisture problems. I also use Airtight only. It works perfectly. Very airtight, lasts for years.
mcaskill is offline   Reply With Quote