Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Frank W
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Californ IA
Posts: 1,757
Default Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Its been in the works for over 3 years but now it looks like the wait is over...McCallum Bagpipes just announced a release date of August 11th at Piping Live, National Piping Center, Glasgow. These pipes are modeled after Fred's personal Dave Williams set. For more info go to McCallum's FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/mccallumbag...type=3&theater

Frank
__________________
"The longer you live, the sooner you bloody will die"
Frank W is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 399
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

I wonder if they'll have a practice set as well like they used to?
__________________
Where has my music gone? I know I had it yesterday....?
TheHaggisMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 917
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Wow.. Well this is a very random and amazing surprise! Uilleann pipes are impossible to find, maybe McCallum will make them accessible, consistent, and bring Uilleann piping into a new boom.
__________________
Will
William McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vashon
Posts: 2,346
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Wow.. Well this is a very random and amazing surprise! Uilleann pipes are impossible to find, maybe McCallum will make them accessible, consistent, and bring Uilleann piping into a new boom.
They are not as impossible to find as it seems. Ray Sloan's waiting list is 18 months, which isn't long compared to the wait lists of ten years ago.

There is a half set of Kohler and Quinn for sale a couple of miles down the road from me here in Washington state if you want a set. The owner is asking $2500.
__________________
Cha de\an a' phluic a'phiobaireachd
John Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Frank W
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Californ IA
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

HaggisMaster I would guess they will since I know of someone who just recently bought one. There is no reason not too.

This wouldn't be happening if Fred wasn't 100% sure they would be producing a quality product. I've been playing his practice set for over 3 yrs. now and found it to be an outstanding chanter. My instructor as well as others who have played it have been impressed. The only negative I've heard was the fact it was made of ABW instead of ebony making it a little to bright for their liking.

I expect turn around time on orders will be very fast in comparison to other makers. I would have ordered one 3 yrs. ago if Fred would have been able to give me a timeline for release. I grew impatient and fell in love with Michael Hubbert's pipes and ordered a half set from him. After a long wait I just recently took ownership.

I will be seeing Fred in October when he comes out to do a workshop I host at Lake Tahoe. Since his 1st introduction of his practice set at our workshop 4 yrs. ago, he has taken orders for practice sets every year. He will be delivering a 1/2 set to a friend of mine so I'll have an opportunity to play these pipes. I will try and get some video to share.

Frank
__________________
"The longer you live, the sooner you bloody will die"
Frank W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 917
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank W View Post
HaggisMaster I would guess they will since I know of someone who just recently bought one. There is no reason not too.

This wouldn't be happening if Fred wasn't 100% sure they would be producing a quality product. I've been playing his practice set for over 3 yrs. now and found it to be an outstanding chanter. My instructor as well as others who have played it have been impressed. The only negative I've heard was the fact it was made of ABW instead of ebony making it a little to bright for their liking.

I expect turn around time on orders will be very fast in comparison to other makers. I would have ordered one 3 yrs. ago if Fred would have been able to give me a timeline for release. I grew impatient and fell in love with Michael Hubbert's pipes and ordered a half set from him. After a long wait I just recently took ownership.

I will be seeing Fred in October when he comes out to do a workshop I host at Lake Tahoe. Since his 1st introduction of his practice set at our workshop 4 yrs. ago, he has taken orders for practice sets every year. He will be delivering a 1/2 set to a friend of mine so I'll have an opportunity to play these pipes. I will try and get some video to share.

Frank
That would be amazing.

When did Fred Morrison start playing Uilleann pipes? This is all news to me as I thought he was a Scottish smallpiper first and then Highland piper last.
__________________
Will
William McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
CelticHiker
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 298
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
That would be amazing.

When did Fred Morrison start playing Uilleann pipes? This is all news to me as I thought he was a Scottish smallpiper first and then Highland piper last.
Fred is a piper, I personally wouldn't try to clarify it further than that.

And your order would be wrong anyway as he was (and is) a Highland piper first, that was what he learned on as a child and what he still successfully competes when he decides to enter a competition. Yes, he also plays the small pipes, and reel pipes, and uuilleann pipes, the whistle, and who knows what other pipes (I think if you left him alone in a room with a set of pipes for a while you would come back to find him playing them). As for when he started, I don't recall the exact time frame, but its been a while as he has been selling the practice set for at least three years, and he had been playing his own set for a while before he talked McCallum into taking on the practice sets.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Frank W
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Californ IA
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

CelticHiker pretty said it all..."Fred is a piper." He just recently won the MacCrimmon Trophy at the Festival Interceltique de Lorient. I think its the 8th consecutive time he has won this event.

As for UP, Fred had said Paddy Keenan was a major influence and had convinced him years ago to take up the uilleann pipes. The set he plays was made by the late Dave Williams. The chanter to the set McCallum will be introducing was modeled after his personal chanter and I believe the drones and regs will be as well. I just heard the reeds are being made by Martin Gallen.

He played his chanter then the new chanter to make a comparison. To my untrained ear they sounded like one and the same. I've been playing it for 3 years now with no issues what so ever.



Here is a link of Fred on the UP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgRHnz3UR-A

The master https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQR...&feature=share
__________________
"The longer you live, the sooner you bloody will die"
Frank W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vashon
Posts: 2,346
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

My friend down the road sold his K&Q half set to one of Jerry O'Sullivan's students, so it's no longer available. If you want to get started on the UP without spending a lot of money, look up David Daye's web site. He makes practice sets out of materials you can find in any hardware store. I used to own one that fit into my SSP. It had a really great sound. My UP chanter fits into my SSP now. I made it myself while on a "pipe making holiday" with Ray Sloan. I highly recommend Ray's "pipe making holiday" for anyone curious about making pipes.
__________________
Cha de\an a' phluic a'phiobaireachd
John Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 548
Default Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Another option for practice sets are those by Pat Sky. See more info at http://www.patricksky.com/Pipes%20prices-5.htm

Best wishes.

Steve
__________________
"Some folks say I'm apathetic, but really I don't care."
~ Robert Earl Keen ~
Steve Bliven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.