Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Tartaniac
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Any advice for a new Drum Sargeant

After practice today, I realized how important it is to have people practicing on drums before going in to play with the pipers. It warms up the hands, arms, and gets the rolls going. Half or 3/4 time spent in pad work and at least 15 minutes of warm-up before going in to play with the pipers.

Also, have them pad practice to the tune itself as the pipers will be playing it.

Good job and good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
theboabster
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi shug,
again congratulations on your appointment. I find that if your drummers are of working age then you find that they may have busy lives as you put it. I admire your use of social media and think this is a good idea. What i find is beneficial is organising the odd weekend practice with plenty of prior warning to allow for full participation from all in the corps. Also i tend to try and make myself available for one to one practice with members of the corps and encourage them to use this facility. Of course it depends on the distances involved in how many of these things you can try, and only a purely group dynamic exercise the first thing i did when i took over at the band i am currently with was to organise a social evening just to break the ice as it were.
theboabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Part of it is down to creating a culture of attendance. I've known pipe-majors and drum-majors who were absolute past masters of the art of "busy on Thursday, were we?" and the raised eyebrow. Setting expectations is important. There's nothing wrong with saying you expect people to make 90% or 95% attendance unless they have real excuses, such as shift work.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Shugdrum

Hi, thanks guys. I actually organised a couple of weekend practices last month, the first is this Saturday and the next is same time next month. At first the whole corp was saying great idea, I'll definitely be there, but the last couple of weeks some are saying I'm not sure if I can make Saturday and when I ask why not? They say something's come up. On paper they are really keen but when it comes to reality it's a different story. Also, after the weekend practices we all decided we would go out for a few drinks but even the lure of the first round on me isn't working haha. After speaking with the Pipe Major I sent an email to all the drummers saying how I'd like the drum corp to progress this season and what I expect of them, such a regular practice attendance, practicing at home, if they can't make a practice night to let me know and to make sure they are up to speed with what we're working on and not falling 1 or 2 weeks behind. I also said if there's any problems with the scores or with me then let's talk about it and try resolve any issues. The PM and most of the corp back the email 100% and the rest haven't said anything. It's frustrates me because I played with them last year as a corp member and I know they can improve and play better if they'd all turn up to practice at the same time, but I don't want to chase them away either by asking too much of them
Shugdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
sticks
Forum Member

"Lord give me the strength to change that which I can.....the serenity to except that which I cannot.......and the wisdom to know the difference!"

Unfortunately members of a lower grade band are there for a reason, and the thoughts of playing at a higher level is not really on their radar.....generally.
A band practice of rudiments would have them scattering in all directions.
IMHO you will unfortunately burn out pretty quickly, if you continue with your high expectations and never getting anything back in return.

I would suggest that you focus on your own playing to the point where they are embarrassed to stand along side you. Lead by your own dedication to your own playing.
Let them come to you.
People don't like to be told.......just human nature.......they will follow though......if inspired.
Don't become militant with your recent elevation. Every now and then, say that you would like to work on unison's and let one of the others lead. Or be busy doing something else and nominate someone else to lead. The pm will soon draw attention to the players short comings; if of course, it is not obvious to the drummer in question already.......and of course, it makes you look pretty good.
Better to have small expectations at this level..........seldom disappointed and often surprised.
Your constant disappointments with these drummers will take a toll on your love of the instrument. Except what you have, and work with it.....or move.
This will be a slow process. The only person you really control is you. The rest can only ever be influenced.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
kreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post
"Lord give me the strength to change that which I can.....the serenity to except that which I cannot.......and the wisdom to know the difference!"

Unfortunately members of a lower grade band are there for a reason, and the thoughts of playing at a higher level is not really on their radar.....generally.
A band practice of rudiments would have them scattering in all directions.
IMHO you will unfortunately burn out pretty quickly, if you continue with your high expectations and never getting anything back in return.

I would suggest that you focus on your own playing to the point where they are embarrassed to stand along side you. Lead by your own dedication to your own playing.
Let them come to you.
People don't like to be told.......just human nature.......they will follow though......if inspired.
Don't become militant with your recent elevation. Every now and then, say that you would like to work on unison's and let one of the others lead. Or be busy doing something else and nominate someone else to lead. The pm will soon draw attention to the players short comings; if of course, it is not obvious to the drummer in question already.......and of course, it makes you look pretty good.
Better to have small expectations at this level..........seldom disappointed and often surprised.
Your constant disappointments with these drummers will take a toll on your love of the instrument. Except what you have, and work with it.....or move.
This will be a slow process. The only person you really control is you. The rest can only ever be influenced.

There are some pearls of wisdom in here. Great post.
kreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Shugdrum

You're right kreich, great advice from sticks, thank you. Thanks also to everyone else who has posted, I really appreciate you all taking the time to do so. Cheers!
Shugdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
Banchory Rob
Forum Regular

We have a few drums for sale cheap, if interested. All Premier HTS, in silver or burgandy/red.

We have just bought a full set of Pearl so have drums surplus to requirements.

I am not a million miles away, near Aberdeen.