Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Why Logan's Tutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Nate...ha!...how did you miss the last 687 recent posts about this?
Ah ... looks like I found it.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...problem&page=7

I noticed this in passing, but I confess, I kind of caught the discussion in the middle and had other things on my mind, so I pressed on with my day.

After going back and reading from the beginning (and even then, I was a bit in the weeds as to what to issue actually was), I get it now. I'm embarrassed that I didn't really realize that this inconsistency was so prevalent.

This issue came up a bit when I was pipe majoring years back, but I wasn't the greatest sight-reader at the time, so I didn't really pay it much mind. I'm still not the greatest now either, but I'm definitely better. I DO know though, that the grip to C on "Green Hills" was played as the "first note/ left foot" and the A and B were played as pick up notes on the right foot.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not to worry. It was an ‘inconsistency’ back then....despite all the past ‘top guns’ in piping,.....still is,to the chagrin of at least maybe some of the current top guns....and I think, under the banner “ there’s more than one way to skin a cat..” will always likely be a topic of conversation despite best intentions...IMHO.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
I would go on which score the 3/4s correctly! Last I looked the NPC hadn't corrected - have you revised this in the COP one ? And now I'm ducking for cover before you clobber me with your bass drone.........but honestly, I haven't seen the revised COP one so genuinely don't know.
You will be pleased to know that 3/4 time tunes are now correctly written in the revised edition!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
You will be pleased to know that 3/4 time tunes are now correctly written in the revised edition!
Fantabulously seriously exceptionally good news Colin. Of course I expected no less. Ok everyone please buy the COP Tutor book. In fact. buy multiple copies and give to everyone you know, whether they play pipes or not.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Huzzah!
One small step for tutors, one giant leap for piping kind

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #16
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have to add that while the CoP and NPC tutors are fine indeed, I would bundle them with Jim McGillivray's Rhythmical Fingerwork and Piobaireachd Fingerwork duo for any serious student. (And if I am in a fiendish mood, the five-book Ross series with loads of penciled-in minor changes.)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

I think the Pipers Dojo also has an approach. I haven't looked at all of it, though.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #18
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
Huzzah!

-Matthew
Yes, it's a very important musical point. I sincerely hope all tutors will use one of the 'corrected' tutor books.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #19
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
Huzzah!

-Matthew
......re David's post, a reminder that the 3/4s and 9/8s on Jim McGillivray's pipetunes.ca sheet music site are also notated correctly.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the additional information.
I have been in contact with Jim McGillivray on another matter and he seems like a very nice guy who is very willing to do what needs must to help those just starting out. as well as I have experienced great customer service from him.

It's my understanding from others that His rhythmic finger work is more for advanced beginners ( however that is decided) so hopefully in some months I'll be ready to tackle that.

Again thanks to all for your advice and direction.