Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:53 AM   #21
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: What happened at McCain's memorial service

Quote:
I’m frustrated at the number of internet keyboard commandoes I’ve seen slagging the poor guy. The pressure at a gig like that is tremendous. He had an off day. That is all.
Then he someone have let someone else do it.

For such a simple tune at a high-profile gig, if there was any nervousness or doubt he should have passed it on to someone with confidence.
This isn't the weekday funeral with 20 people at the tent, this was viewed by thousands of people and will live on forever on the internet.
I can some-what give the piper at President Ford's funeral a pass since he was standing outside in the show for an hour without being able to check anything (had to remain silent). But this was a controlled stage performance.

I feel very sorry for the guy, I'm sure he feels terrible and is catching it today. But this is why we practice constant correct repetition and we know our instrument well, so when the time comes we are ready.

-Matthew
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-31-2018, 05:56 AM   #22
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ford's Piper...the Fort Hood Piper...and now McCain's Piper - the list grows.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #23
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

New piper and scared to death. Should have said "No but I'll help you find a qualified piper."
Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #24
NoisyPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmunmousavi View Post
So my guess is that he is inexperienced to the point that he doesn’t know his reed is busted, and can’t hold the tune properly.
I know some "parade band" folks who will run chanter reeds with mold on them, because - and I quote - "I've had this reed for 12 years and it sounds just fine."

Which is to say, not only are you probably right, but said piper may think their reed is in perfectly good condition.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #25
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gority View Post
I’m frustrated at the number of internet keyboard commandoes I’ve seen slagging the poor guy. The pressure at a gig like that is tremendous. He had an off day. That is all.
I quite agree that people ridiculing the guy accomplishes nothing.

Many/most pipers seem to have a terrible tendency toward elitism and belittling those who they view to be beneath them. Such pointing of fingers and mocking/jeering is shameful, and it angers me greatly when I see it. Sadly, it happens all the time.

I agree the man clearly had a bad day, but I -will- also concede that I don't think that he is yet qualified to pay tribute to ANYONE in this capacity. Yes, it's made worse for some due to the fact that the perceived profile of the departed is quite high, but frankly, that shouldn't matter. A life is a life, and a legacy is a legacy.

I've written before on here of the dangers of ambition. It never feels good to look at oneself and say "I'm not ready for what I wish to do." But that's a big part of what contributes to professionalism. This fellow needs to step aside until this sort of outcome is damn-near impossible. If he was having trouble with the instrument in some sort of freak occurrence, within reason, the evidence of the issue would have been present in warming up, etc. At such point, that individual needed to go to an organizer and inform them of the need to skip that portion of the service.

I would think this person undoubtedly feels shame for how it went, and I should hope the encounter will have served a lasting lesson. Please folks, don't add to the shame. Work on your own playing and leave him alone.

All the best,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 08-31-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #26
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default What happened at McCain's memorial service

Ok so the story I heard is that the piper is Jay Smith. Local band guy. G5 Competition I think. Apparently he’s competent enough.

On the day: using a MCS that became disconnected after tuning, the hose rode up into the bag and was obstructing airflow to the reed. He discovered it but was rushed on stage after being denied the time to correct the issue. He figured playing thru was doable, and learnt the hard way.

At first listen I was certain the reed was far too hard, and the piper far too ambitious.

It’s hard to say no to a gig like that. I doubt any of us would die to the honour.

I stand by my assessment because either way, the piper is at fault. Poor set up or poor maintenance.

I feel for the guy, we’ve all had issues at some point. But he should’ve stood his ground on correcting it.

I am however glad to see that the forum is not as vicious as Facebook.

EDIT:

Not sure why he’s using an MCS in Arizona

—————————————————————-
https://www.facebook.com/DamhCabrach
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DamhCabrachPiping; 08-31-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #27
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

If you guys accept that performance on the world stage in front of millions of viewers as simply a "bad day" what would you consider a really good day? Half as many errors and problems?

If we don't accept and understand our limitations we can't recognize or fix our problems. Lord knows I have to deal with mine every day.

Last edited by milwiron; 08-31-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #28
Adam Sanderson

Lots of people saying "new piper", but the guy is wearing full army pipe major's chevrons. He must have earned them to some degree.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #29
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwiron View Post
If you guys accept that performance on the world stage in front of millions of viewers as simply a "bad day" what would you consider a really good day? Half as many errors and problems?
Fine ... "really bad day?" "Worst possible day?"

Quibble all you want, like it or not, I think you understand what people are saying here. And when it comes to millions of viewers vs. five ... it shouldn't matter. If one wouldn't play for millions, then they shouldn't play for five either ... at least not in tribute of one who has passed away.

As Forrest Gump so eloquently put it, "s#it happens." Let's move on, and leave the guy alone.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPiper View Post

- "I've had this reed for 12 years and it sounds just fine."

I had a beginner student a few years past whom I coached to learn pipes for a street band ..a big strapping guy about 6’3”x 230#.
He eventually was a whiner. ‘My back hurts,... my throat hurts,..my leg, my this,that..’. albeit he learned fairly well and quickly....then outgrew his britches.

His 26” reed was too strong he decided ..so he went ‘on line’ to “learn” after only about year on pipes...how to adjust a reed.
The next time I saw the previously brand new very nice reed ...he had disasterously shaved the blades thin enough to read newsprint through ...and added a 1/16” radius at corners.

He was dumbfounded livid when I took it out and launched it about 75’ across the practice Hall.

Seems he may have moved to AZ. Thankfully. But,I’d have hoped he’d sold the pipes.
Closed Thread