Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #41
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Re: DegerPipes first generation issue

Hi y'all,
So, it's been well over a couple of years since I brought up the issues with my first-generation DegerPipes. I still haven't got them fixed yet, but @Buzz, my Dad is about to try all of the instructions in your post about the soldering and whatnot. So we'll see how it goes!
But my dad has a couple questions. Firstly, the wire array is slightly different on my pipes than in the pictures. Also, the wires are different colors. From that, Dad only needs to know if the connections should be in the same place as they were in the pictures?
Also, it's literally the long power wire that broke. He's going to solder it together and also solder that onto the chip board so that the pipes can finally start working again, and when I'll literally feel like I'm really dreaming - I've only had dreams about playing these things
Keep in mind, I've wanted such a thing since 2005...

Michael
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #42
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Oh no! My dad tried fixing my DegerPipes but they don't work! I guess I'll die if Manfred doesn't respond. If I don't get a working Deger...
Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #43
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

HEY!!!!! GUESS WHAT! I finally got a working first-generation Deger!!!!!
Here's how it went. So, I had been in contact with piper Matt Willis who got two sets of Redpipes for Christmas. He wanted to sell his Deger, so this is what he and I agreed to do.
I first said to Matt:
How's it going with your Deger electronic bagpipes? So, it's been well over a couple of months since I brought up the first-generation DegerPipes. I still haven't got mine them fixed yet (bought them from a drummer on the Bob Dunsire forums in 2016, they haven't worked since I've owned them), but my Dad is about to try all of the instructions in a Bob Dunsire post about the soldering and whatnot. So we'll see how it goes!
It's literally only the long power wire that broke. He's going to solder it together and also solder that onto the chip board so that the pipes can finally start working again, and when I'll literally feel like I'm really dreaming - I've only had dreams about playing these things. Keep in mind, I've wanted such a thing since 2005... when this wish finally comes true, it's what I now often call "Denise Leigh's world", how I felt when I discovered this amazing British opera singer named Denise Leigh, BEST VOICE EVER! It's such an amazing voice I just fainted when I heard it, almost similar to the 13-year-old Romanian girl Laura Bretan, who is still going equally strong at sweet 16 now. If she were American I'd date her... but she's totally Romanian, and having to go all the way to Romania just to find one particular girl I'm not going to take that chance...
It's still not going well at my end (temporarily), but really, no worries at your end.
So, how was your Christmas? I had a good one, except I'm still waiting on some orders to arrive, two Zampogna CD's and a DVD (the Italian bagpipe with two or even three chanters).
Well, dad soldered the wires just as in the picture on the thread, and they don't work yet. I surely hope my Dad does not throw this thing away, I'm sending these to Manfred Deger for repair, NQA!!!!!
Matt's response:
Hey stranger! Sorry I feel off the face of the earth. Been crazy busy with getting my YouTube channel up and going.
If you're still needing a DegerPipe, why don't just send you mine. If it's what you need, you can sample it yourself or we can come up with a fair price for it. But I'd be happy to get it in the mail to you.

My reply to Matt:
Re the Deger pipes: Sure! I'm selling my old Naill Highland pipes for 500, is that too much? One of my friends' teacher is looking into getting a 21st set of pipes, he's like "hey I have 20 sets of pipes I could use a 21st set". I'm also trying to sell an old Technopipe electronic bagpipe that still works it's just not my favorite. Perhaps I could sell that to you?
Matt:
I have two sets of Redpipes, so I am doing good for electronic pipes.... Are the Naill pipes blackwood or plastic?
And what's your address to send the Degerpipes to?

Me:
They're plastic. I can't remember the guy's name that wanted them, Todd somebody. He's a teacher in the Detroit area, I don't live there but his student Chris Leonard goes to Alma with me.
As far as the address: Well, as long as it gets here before I graduate in April (I'm a senior), I can send the college address. Otherwise my home address, but just in case, here's the college address. But remember it MUST have my name on there otherwise I won't be authorized to either take it or have someone give it to me, as the mailroom is waaaaay far off and must be driven to in order to get there from the dorms, just so ridiculous! Fortunately one of piper friends works in the mailroom so he'll be glad to give it to me. I can also shoot an email to the head of the mailroom staff and ask permission for a friend of mine to give it to me as soon as it arrives.
(deleted the address)
What inspired you to get Redpipes? Were you tired of the limited first-generation Deger pipes? You'll notice that the Redpipes is basically a second-generation with a bag on it...
Matt:
The redpipes interface was much better for a live performance. And much more robust hardware connections.
Me, a few days later:
Hey Matt, how was your weekend? Mine was pretty interesting: we celebrated my very active grandpa's 96th birthday as we went to a Celtic event near where he lives in Flint (I'm from Grand Rapids). I got to play my pipes to wow the crowd, so that people wouldn't think that I was just another grade 4 piper! Most of the pipe bands there were in grade 4 or 5. Also, I met this piper named Diane from the Flint pipe band. Like me, apparently Diane is also a huge fan of Laura Bretan, a 13-year-old Romanian opera singer who performed on America's Got Talent. I know it sounds odd as it is, like she's totally 100 percent Romanian but wowed the crowd on America's Got Talent. But Diane is super freaked about Laura Bretan, and so am I. In fact, Diane was a graduate of Alma College, and she is also a singer. She related the point where I told her that too many singers have slow vibratos and they're brought up thinking a slow vibrato is how it's supposed to be, not even realizing that a slow vibrato will actually damage the voice. This is truly why opera is dying out! I have all this on a recording if you're interested to hear. But in the process after leaving home from school, I got a cold that hasn't gone away yet! (Aside: I'm recovered)
Well, I've got a couple questions here about those Deger pipes. So, as I said I'll be selling the Naills onto somebody that would like them. Keep in mind I've been interested in such a Deger since 2005 and haven't gotten a working one ever yet! Thing is, I'd either use all that money to pay you for the Deger, or some of it for the Deger and whatever left to spend on other stuff like ... dare I say it... a new hard drive! So I'll let you decide what to pay you.
Second - would you prefer me to pay before or after? As time runs out and I'll graduate in April, I'm open to either option. Personally I'd prefer ship first then I'll pay you afterwards, but that might not be your personal preference. But no real worries because even though the mailroom is waaaaay far off and must be driven to in order to get there from the dorms, just so ridiculous!, fortunately one of piper friends works in the mailroom so he'll be glad to give it to me. I can also shoot an email to the head of the mailroom staff and ask permission for a friend of mine to give it to me as soon as it arrives.
Third and lastly, my dad is seriously going to literally kill me if I get this Deger and it doesn't work. Thing is, he's not going to risk sending a Deger back to Manfred only to get no response, this is what happened to the other Deger I've owned, where it hasn't worked since I got it. So, can you PLEASE, for God's sake make sure that it still works? Perhaps possibly ship some spare batteries with the pipes as well? It's up to you but I'd hate to get a second dead and unrestorable Deger...

Matt:
1. I was planning on shipping it tomorrow morning to you
2. I was looking for $300 for it, if it suits your purposes.
3. Make sure it's what you need before paying for it.
4. I'm playing it right now, so yes, it works.

Me:
Thanks!
Ok, convo over... So, wait until March 8, when My sister Lizzie, a piper friend Sophia Richter and myself, we went out to the nearby bar / brewery near our campus. Thing is, since we'll be gone on the actual date of Lizzie's and my birthday for a cousin's wedding (Lizzie and I are twins so we have the same birthday), we thought we could do it then. After having three beers at the bar, that's what you get for being drunk. I'm sure glad I don't sound as drunk as I felt though! Don't worry, I'm blind, I don't drive!
Lastly: It was 9:30 (my time) that evening when I opened the pipes out of the package. I played these nonstop until 3 in the morning my time, and recorded all of it!!!!! According to her time zone, this is probably when the best opera soprano in the world (Denise Leigh) was waking up! Who knows when it was in Romania what Laura Bretan might have been doing? (Denise Leigh and Laura Bretan are two amazing opera singers, Denise from Staffordshire England and Laura Bretan from Romania) as a mere teenager.
Anybody interested in some MP3 recordings I put up onto Youtube, or no? Because these are big files, I could only upload these to Youtube using a website where you can simply upload an MP3 file onto Youtube up to 50 megabytes. This is far preferable to the 25 mb file size limit with emails, which I still think is absolutely stupid. If yes, the first two were when I was drunk, the rest of them were made when I recovered.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 03-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #44
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Well... short lived my Deger pipes,
They don't work anymore! I swear I will KILL myself if I don't get this thing repaired at all. But, I hope there's an easy solution for this. There's a huge chip in one of the holes on the battery connector, so I'm pretty sure that because of the hole it's not making electrical connection. However, if it's not that, well... at least I'm glad I have my brother to help me, as he works for a company that does international shipping almost every single day. I'm sure he could send my two Deger pipes to Germany as long as I prod him into doing it.
Another worse thing that happened exactly as the Deger died... In a recent recording that my favorite opera singer Denise Leigh sent me, her vibrato slowed down (making her voice worse), so she doesn't sound as amazing as she used to when she had her properly fast vibrato.
So today was one of the worst days of my life. I'm sure it had nothing to do with that Denise Leigh isn't a piper, but maybe her ghost got in the chamber and decided on a whim to crack the wiring inside, just as her voice got worse... "Hmm, if my voice became worse, why don't I make your Deger die?"
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #45
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

I know it's late, I swear I'll go to bed right after I post this. (it's 1219 on Wednesday night. Just HAVE to tell you)
The Deger: I later inspected the battery connector. Thing is, Deger takes 1 9volt battery. For a connection to work the large hole on the connector must go on the small hole on the battery, and vice versa, the large hole on the battery also must go on the small hole of the connector. Well, apparently there is a huge chip on the large hole of the connector, so it won't actually forcefully fit over the small connector on the battery. I was also funnily thinking that because Denise Leigh isn't a piper, maybe her ghost got in the chamber and decided on a whim to crack the wiring inside, just as her voice got worse... "Hmm, if my voice became worse, why don't I make your Deger die?"
So, off to the electronic store to have them solder on a new battery connector, I guess. If THIS solution doesn't work, I'm calling my brother Eric (since he works with a company that does international shipping every day), so he can take care of it. But first let's try one step at a time first (think Jordin Sparks).
Old 06-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #46
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Looking back, I realized I accidentally put the battery on backwards! I then looked up what could happen if you put a 9V battery on backwards, and apparently some electronic devices get destroyed. I didn't even touch the power button when putting it on backwards, I just realized it, reversed the polarity and put it on. But it still doesn't work. My dad's not willing to get a new battery clip because he says it looks perfectly fine. Any way to convince him that these pipes might need a new battery clip? Heck with what Denise did... haha...
Old 09-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #47
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

So, my dad affixed a new 9 volt battery connector I bought from Amazon.com onto the Deger pipes using splicing tabs... and still, they don't work yet!!!!! I AM KILLING MYSELF!!!!! If I don't have a working Deger, I won't live!
I did, however, discover a website that other Deger users may be interested in. I haven't tried these out yet, but I think if I send the pipes to this company they might be able to fix them. However, I'm not absolutely positive. I accidentally put the battery on backwards but it didn't even make a connection, nor did I press the On / Off sensor - so I hope the circuit board isn't fried.
Here is the website.
https://gesrepair.com/services/pcb-r...onic-services/
I don't think they've worked with Deger pipes yet, but I'm sure they might be able to fix them. But I'm sure that shipping to them is really expensive! Nor do I have a feeling if they know how to fixed circuits that are possibly fried.
SCREW DENISE'S GHOST FOR KILLING MY DEGERS!
One other thing: When I go to plug the pipes in, it is only when I touch the long thumb pad that there is a clicking noise as I try to find the output jack for the headphones. However, all other sensors are silent and do not make the clicking noise. The mouthpiece, however, still makes the clicking noise whenever I touch it and try to find the jack. Is that enough to explain whether or not the circuit is fried?
Plus, I'm sure that with fried circuits they can just replace them with fresh metal components, isn't the programming of the pipes in the software and not the circuits? Don't the circuits just provide connection to the sensors and that's it?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #48
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Here's an update. So, what happened was, Dad is really not all that good with using splicing tabs. He says it would take 5 hands to connect them well, and he obviously only has two. So, he's going to try soldering the connectors tonight and see if that works. Apparently he only got one of the two splices connected.
Someone recently posted (not this thread), that their first-generation Deger died simply because of a crack in the wiring leading to the on/off switch. I'm sure if these things aren't fixed by the soldering that this might be the problem. Whoever that piper was, how the heck did they get to the on/off switch?
Lastly, I know for sure the circuitry is not fried. In order to fry a circuit board, you actually have to put the wires on in reverse and then connect them normally to the 9 volt battery. I put the battery on backwards and it wouldn't connect, but apparently the pipes died right as that happened just as Denise Leigh sent me a recording of her not-so-good singing voice (which is how I attribute the pipes dying to her end). Maybe there is a crack in one of the two wires halfway down the chamber (like DownUnderPiper mentioned a few years ago). Dad's going to try soldering in that place, if soldering in the original place where he connected the splices doesn't work.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #49
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Looks like I'm going to ask my brother to ship these pipes to Manfred (IMPOSSIBLE!). My brother works for a company that does international shipping every day so shipping to somewhere like Germany is not that bad.
What happened was, Dad soldered the battery connector onto the wires... and they STILL DON'T WORK!!!!! I've just sent an email to Manfred, but I still have other options as well. Particularly, I'm sure any computer repair shop can go look at the wires and try to connect new wires to map to the sensors if that makes any sense.
As suggested by Buzz, my dad opened the top in order to get at the circuit boards. Obviously he can't go that far down into where the sensors are, but he said that all the wires looked intact from what he could see. He says that even an electronic repair shop won't be able to fix it, but I don't trust him.
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to be a good piper then! I'M THE ONLY ONE WITHOUT A DEGER! Literally, I do NOT like my Technopipes just because one note is not in tune with the drones! Just because of that one note I don't play the Technopipes! I'm picky to death about tuning, and the Tecnopipes I would grade as a D- (D minus) for tuning, the Deger would be a B++.