Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Your 2019 setup?

I had asked last year what (if any) changes people had made with their pipe/bag/chanter/reed setups - what's the plan for 2019? Any changes from 2018?

I'm currently playing a set of Naills with Ezeedrone tenors, Kinnaird Evolution bass (still trying to find 'the bass reed'). Canmore hybrid bag with no moisture control other than a tube trap, Colin Kyo chanter with a Gilmour reed or older Naill chanter with a Shepherd reed.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Your 2019 setup?

Only change for me is that I'm trying other chanter reeds. Right now I have G1 B flat reeds in rotation. (1979 G&M with original McLeod chanter, Gannaway classic bag, Selbie drone reeds, Moose valve.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iím sure Iíve mentioned to you before, but I REALLY like x-treme bass in the Naill.

I brought two sets to my competition this weekend:
Colin Kyo with Ackland prototype drone reeds, Kyo chanter, Husk reed
Gellaitry with x-treme bass, orig. Kinnaird tenors, Kyo chanters, Gilmour and Sound Supreme reeds

Plan is to use the Kyos for a kitchen piping competition and maybe for the solos the next day.

Bandmate here with me is playing:
Colin Kyo with inverted Ezee bass and Redwood tenors, Kyo chanter, Sound Supreme reed
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

I play a 2014 ABW Naill with ABW Naill Solo Chanter. I have had consistant positive comments on my combination of Ezee Tenors and a Henderson Deluxe Bass Drone Reed. I recently heard positive comments about the use of regular Ezee Tenors and a Ezee High Absorbency Bass, so I am playing that bass a bit for a listen. I play the McPhee pipe chanter reed, again with excellent comments from judges and senior pipers. In the past, I have used the G1 platinum with very good success and comments as well. I play a Gannaway bag with tied in drone stocks - only a zipper. No tone-diminishers, or moisture control. Have been fortunate to not need moisture control. Cover my chanters with the "Tone Enhancers" and have used them now for about a year with very good results. Superior results to the cap I had been using for years before.

Cheers,

Last edited by Army.Bagpiper; 05-03-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: tense correction.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #5
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Colin Kyo chanter with a Gilmour reed or older Naill chanter with a Shepherd reed.
Seems like the Kyo would be a little sweeter sound and the Naill a bit more crisp? How do you compare these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Only change for me is that I'm trying other chanter reeds. Right now I have G1 B flat reeds in rotation. (1979 G&M with original McLeod chanter, Gannaway classic bag, Selbie drone reeds, Moose valve.
I'm still curious about these new Bb reeds. It works pretty well in that McLeod?

Wonder what these reeds do regular pitched chanters. Do they bring them down a few Hz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Iím sure Iíve mentioned to you before, but I REALLY like x-treme bass in the Naill.
I'm still unsure about them. The audio I've heard to my ear sounds very similar to others like it such Kinnaird, Canning, Henderson etc. Big/buzzy/bold? What do you enjoy more about these than the others?

I miss a cane sound. It is buttery with a crackling overtone. Inverted Ezee bass has the butter but no crackle. My new set arrives next week maybe I'll give cane another go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
I play a 2014 ABW Naill with ABW Naill Solo Chanter. I have had consistant positive comments on my combination of Ezee Tenors and a Henderson Deluxe Bass Drone Reed. I recently heard positive comments about the use of regular Ezee Tenors and a Ezee High Absorbency Bass, so I am playing that bass a bit for a listen. I play the McPhee pipe chanter reed, again with excellent comments from judges and senior pipers. In the past, I have used the G1 platinum with very good success and comments as well. I play a Gannaway bag with tied in drone stocks - only a zipper. No tone-diminishers, or moisture control. Have been fortunate to not need moisture control. Cover my chanters with the "Tone Enhancers" and have used them now for about a year with very good results. Superior results to the cap I had been using for years before.

Cheers,
How do you like that Ezee high absorption? I seem to keep coming back to Ezeedrones over the years. Efficient, consistent, and smooth.

Seems like people like the chanter humidifiers.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Will, I like the x-treme bass because itís bold and solid. And itís super easy to tune with no funny business, nice and stable. Tonally better in each pipe than what it replaced.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Seems like the Kyo would be a little sweeter sound and the Naill a bit more crisp? How do you compare these

I'm still curious about these new Bb reeds. It works pretty well in that McLeod?

Wonder what these reeds do regular pitched chanters. Do they bring them down a few Hz?

SNIP.
Yes, the G1 Bb reeds work just fine in my 40-year old McLeod Chanter. Depending on the ambient temperature, they'll pitch at 466 to 472 Hz.
I don't have any newer, higher-pitched chanters, so can't answer that.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #8
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Kron Heritage: Canning drone reeds, Medallist chanter.

John Center: Redwood drone reeds, 1980s Dunbar Eller wood chanter with Gilmour reed (at 470 - 472)

McGillivray J&R Glen repro: Selbie bass, Redwood tenors, Bruce Gandy chanter with Caldwell reed (band) (at 479 - 484)
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, piper hm, and to All,

My two main sets are... 1916 ABW Lawries and
1908 Cocuswood O'Cianain's.

Alas... mine is always... pretty much the same...
since the advent of good synthie drone reeds...
(And that was my only change since I began
this great waltz-about... Ages Past... :)

Living in a cave as I do (actually, I moved out of
my hole-in-the-ground... and moved up to the
cave... so some modernization is ...taking place :),
the onslaught of adjunctive piping paraphernalia
is a deluge which I have happily managed to avoid.

My set up is simple... a plain old leather bag...
the original Kinnaird synthie drone reeds... and
that's about it... except for an engagement that
is really quite special... and then it's cane for the
drone reeds. (Nothing... sounds... like... cane... :)

I have... "heard tell"... that presently there are great
strides being made in the arena of synthie chanter
reeds... and-should-if-or-when... that comes to a
proper fruition... then I shall be... very quick to be...
and very much...onboard!!

Regards... and Happy Configuring... to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 05-05-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #10
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

Hi Will! The EzeeDrone Increased Absorption Inverted Bass reed is still very new, but it has locked seamlessly with the older regular EzeeDrone Tenors. I only had to calibrate it, a millimeter or so to open it up and it has sat still for the week or so I have been playing it. I am warming up to it. It took a little to get used to the new sound because I have been accustomed to the Henderson Deluxe Bass Drone Reed, which I have been using for two seasons now.

The more I play it, the more I am enjoying it. It locked in within a couple of minutes of me bringing my pipes out of the box, and stayed solid for the hour or so that I practiced, so it is hard not to like that!

The Tone protector has cut my "warm up" to practice time to a fraction of what it was, so now I can almost tune and get to the serious practicing and spend more time in working on my tunes, then waiting for the reeds to come to the point where I can tune them and expect them to hold for any given amount of time.
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote