Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #41
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: "B" Flat Set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post

Do you mean the chanter pitches at B flat (466Hz) in reference to A 440Hz?
Yes ...and if using eg a Korg tuner ..the same green light for both As on either setting.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #42
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Wanted to ask on this thread since it already has so much good info -

I was thinking of getting a Bb chanter - in addition to the ones mentioned already (G1, Shepherd, McCallum), has anyone tried the Wallace Bb chanter? I noticed it on a vendor site recently, I think it's a recent offering. The price is very reasonable.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #43
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Why is everyone all of a sudden making Bb chanters?

It confuses me that back around the 2010s I wanted to play at a lower pitch and we've had lots of discussions on it here. I tried the few chanter options there were around which I could count on one hand and still have digits left over. Drones were a pain, most chanter reeds weren't compatible or able to get that low and simply played around 468-472.

I stepped away from piping for a couple of years to come back and see that now every major maker seems to have a high pitch (regular pitch) and a low pitch (Bb) chanter. It's very weird. A few even have high pitch + higher pitch + a low pitch. There are now even dedicated Bb chanter reeds and several drone reeds (all Scottish makes I believe?) that can reach Bb on purpose.

I suppose in the case of Wallace it makes sense as they play in the Red Hot Chilli Pipers with other instruments so for sure they would want to make their own chanter for this to accompany.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #44
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Because there is a market for them. Not all pipers want to play at current band pitch. Some pipers like to play with other instruments. Playing solo, I prefer lower pitch because that's the sound I grew up with and want to emulate. Reedmakers are giving folks what they ask for so their pipes play comfortably at that pitch. I think it's great.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #45
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:

I suppose in the case of Wallace it makes sense as they play in the Red Hot Chilli Pipers with other instruments so for sure they would want to make their own chanter for this to accompany.
Lots of pipers want to play with other instrumentalists, and there are plenty of gigs out there for those who can.

Competition pitches have reached a point where it's impractical to have one chanter and adjust it to suit the purpose.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #46
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post

it's impractical to have one chanter and adjust it to suit the purpose.
And likely not achievable. Setting a bespoke 480hz+ Chanter down to 466~ will hardly fly....then, also,of course,...the drone tops would be nearly off the pins.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #47
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Lots of pipers want to play with other instrumentalists, and there are plenty of gigs out there for those who can.
Exactly so! Half my gigs are Concert Pitch gigs. When "they" find out that there's a piper who can play in tune, they want to hire you.

Quote:
Competition pitches have reached a point where it's impractical to have one chanter and adjust it to suit the purpose.
Exactly. It was one thing when the competition pitch was 469, quite another thing now that the competition pitch has climbed into the 480s.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #48
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I think my comments were misinterpreted as why does lower pitch exist, even though in the same paragraph as those comments I said that I wanted to, and did, play(ed) at a lower pitch.

Quote:

It confuses me that back around the 2010s I wanted to play at a lower pitch and we've had lots of discussions on it here. I tried the few chanter options there were around which I could count on one hand and still have digits left over. Drones were a pain, most chanter reeds weren't compatible or able to get that low and simply played around 468-472.
I should have worded it better. I'm not asking why.. I'm asking why now. The band pitch has been at and above 480 for the last 15 years just about. Bb chanters were around but they weren't that common, they were more of a niche by pipe makers as a needed basis for special occasions. And it was more or less McCallum, MacLellan, Gibson, Shepherd and maybe one or two others.

And this begged my question. Why now in the years and years of sustained ~480 and higher pitch are so many more pipe makers all deciding to produce their own Bb chanter when the higher pitch hasn't really changed between solo and band chanters in years. What changed?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #49
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nothing really changed .its just Capitalism...ie ..Marketing creating a market demand.... +..have you heard a local yahoo playing a 475-480 chanter with the bailiwick boys at the pub?

Heck...Ive got 2 Bb chanters ...used infrequently...but there when needed.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #50
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote/I should have worded it better. I'm not asking why.. I'm asking why now. The band pitch has been at and above 480 for the last 15 years just about.

It's because the top bands and their PM's have managed to convince the competition judges somehow that higher pitch is a winning sound..and I'm tagging the judging community for that..it's on them, they could have drawn a line amongst themselves but they didn't...as far as B flat chanters, the Shepherd Orchestral is the gold standard in my opinion..easy to reed, well constructed and projects beautifully..if the Regiments are using it that's good enough for me.