Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-08-2019, 03:37 AM   #1
Bren95
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Rocket Drone Reeds Required

Badly want a set of Rocket Drone Reeds, if anyone has a set for sake please let me know. WHAT DOES A GUY HAVE TO DO!!!!
Bren95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Rocket Drone Reeds Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren95 View Post
Badly want a set of Rocket Drone Reeds, if anyone has a set for sake please let me know. WHAT DOES A GUY HAVE TO DO!!!!
Likely easier to place a wanted to buy (WTB) ad on the trading post...

However, Rockets are hard to come by, so it may take some time to find a set.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Bren95
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Likely easier to place a wanted to buy (WTB) ad on the trading post...

However, Rockets are hard to come by, so it may take some time to find a set.
Thanks for the reply, I have an WTB post in that forum also. Just said Iíd try my luck here as more people seem to view posts in this one.
Bren95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren95 View Post
There are more than a few other equal reeds out there....why bother with the angst to get a set of used reeds specifically made for specific pipes you donít own?

Canning,MG,EZ,X-treme,kinnaird,Balance Tone, Selbie,...to randomly name a few
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Bren,

Had thoughts on your search for Rockets because I know you've been looking for a while and it's a frustrating situation. I hope I don't come across as patronizing, these are just my own thoughts from experience and it could be smoother FWIW.

It might be easier to reach out to people who have Rockets when you hear a person mentioning them (in person or Dunsire etc) and make an offer. In my experience most people probably haven't had a thought to sell their Rockets or other x,y,z item and I've found from working the past in a service/sales industry that unfortunately unless someone has already started to emotionally process letting go of something, an advertisement such as a WTB probably isn't going to move the needle much until they do. We can't force the river as they say. For myself I know that if I have something that I haven't at all had a thought to sell and someone offers income for them it gets that emotional process started in my head about what other piping accessory I've been wanting instead or money toward travel etc. My own experience with Rockets are that I ordered new ones years ago for a past set of pipes and I came across a lightly used pair recently very randomly that were made for a similar set of pipes to what I own now so I made a snap offer on them as I'm suggesting here and was able to purchase them.

Having tried Rockets again it brings me to my other thought. Is there something about them specifically that you haven't been able to find in other drone reeds? I've now bought/traded/sold I think just about every drone reed make on the market save for a couple like Crozier Carbons/V2s and the new Kelt reeds. I've made notes and recordings of all of them and putting the Rockets up against these the Rockets do have their own nice sound but not any more so than other available reeds I believe. Maybe 10+ years ago when they were available for order, but other makes have been steadily improving filling the void. Rockets also have some big compromises such as the strength not being adjustable, moving the bridles are a crapshoot if the reeds will then shut down on you or become very inefficient. I play with a manometer around 27"-29" and unless I'm focusing pretty intently to stay within 1" ~2hPa while playing (this is super steady and very tough for me), the Rockets will start slipping in and out of tune sharp or flat. I compare this against other reeds such Kinnairds' Edge and the Originals that I own/have owned that can stay in tune up or down even 2"-3" inches of water.. and still be adjustable for strength. Just my own observations and thoughts if it helps.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Similar to what William said, you are likely to be able to get more efficient and at least equivalent tone out of commercially available reeds. What kind of pipes are you playing? Perhaps we could make recommendations?
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

I have three sets surplus to requirements. All are fiberglass tongue. I've been led to think that the going rate is $200. It is my intent not to break any forum rules here, but I think I have not. If I have, please inform me. Responses in strict order of inquiry.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarb View Post
I have three sets surplus to requirements. All are fiberglass tongue. I've been led to think that the going rate is $200. It is my intent not to break any forum rules here, but I think I have not. If I have, please inform me. Responses in strict order of inquiry.
You have three sets of Rockets? That's very odd.. and kind of impressive at the same time considering. I will say that $160US is arguably a fairer price, they were $200 new if I recall correctly. They are worth whatever someone else believes they are worth in the end I guess
Old 09-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
LJ Neville
Forum Silver Medal

Since they are no longer made... they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

Available for sale here: https://www.a2amazinggrace.com
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
Wulls

Closest thing to Rockets are the new Kinnaird "Edge" reeds.
They have a "generic" bore but the physical setup is similar.