Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #71
Tall Brian
Forum Member

Default Re: MMMmmmm Cheap Beer....

Remember this jingle?

Now's the time,
Cast your line,
Catch your limit here!

Now's the time for fishing
Now's the time for beer

Now's the time for good friends
and Stroh's is spoken here!

How's that for evidence of a youth wasted.

As I remember they had several commericals using the same song with different themes. You know, "now's the time for baseball", "now's the time for camping", or "now's the time for puking". Something like that.

Schlitz had a brewery in Memphis, TN dating back to the late 1800s. After Strohs bought Schlitz it became a Stroh's brewery. After the demise of Strohs it is now a Coors brewery.

Apparently the Colorado Rocky Mountain spring water still qualifies after it has traversed half the nation via the South Platte, the Platte, the Missouri, and the Mississippi rivers. Nothing says cool clear purity than a heard of cattle in the middle of Nebraska taking a dump in the Platte river.

I am not sure that the serious trademark Coors beer was brewed in Memphis. I do know that the Memphis brewery is where Coors "brewed" Zima.

I am not surprised that Zima has not been mentioned in this thread as I do not consider it to be beer. Bad, yes; beer, no.

The other beer that I have not seen mentioned is Little Kings cream ale. There was a bar that used to sell buckets of ice with six or seven small bottles of Little Kings. I do not really remember the taste of the beer but I will never forget how bad I felt the morning after.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #72
Tall Brian
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NYPDPIPER:
El Presidente BABY!!!!
Hey NYPDPIPER. I was traveling in the Dominican Republic. A country that is so backward that they call it the Republic Dominican.

While on the beach I had an El Presidente beer. It had the picture of what I took to be the local Despot. Also, it tasted quite a bit like Lowenbrau. Is that the same El Presidente beer that you have had?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #73
Chad McMurry
Forum Regular

What about Shmidt?

Working hot summers out in the woods, a cold "animal pack" (six-pack cans with pictures of various wildlife on them - elk on one can, fish on another, etc.) went down eeeeeaaaaassssyyyyy.

The only cheap beer I drink now is the free kind. Boddington's, Guiness, home brew, or a nice dark microbrew for me!

Great thread
Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #74
NYPDPIPER
Forum Regular

Yeah thats the same El Presidente,,,when I was working in the bronx and it was late,,you gotta do what you gotta do!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #75
Ernie Halley
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I was just a Seaman Apprentice stationed in Newport, RI back in 1962. The beer at the enlisted mens club was Narraganset Beer (I think they used the water to brew it out of the Narraganset Bay). There were several of us, that were married, and did not have much money and we would go to the Club on payday and have our twice monthly binge. The beer cost $2.00 a pitcher. Everyone would buy a pitcher and start drinking. The first guy that had to go to the bathroom had to buy the next round. You cannot believe how well your pucker string works, when it was money out of your pocket. But, for about $5.00 you could get a nice buzz.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #76
SerialKilter.
Holy smoking keyboard!

A long time ago, way back in history,
when all there was to drink was nothin but cups of tea.
Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,
and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

He must have been an admiral a sultan or a king,
and to his praises we shall always sing.
Look what he has done for us he's filled us up with cheer!
Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer beer beer
tiddly beer beer beer....

ok ok sorry, I couldnt resist. Cheap beer eh.....I would have to say Black Label, if you really want to get cheap or Old Milwaukee..
Old 01-22-2005, 05:34 AM   #77
New Hudson Highlander
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by VIPiper:
IPA - India Pale Ale
??IPA is a style and can run from cheap to pricy, tripe-juice to exilir. Any specific IPA in mind?

Speaking of cheap, Meijer's Thrifty Acres used to have a generic beer, black writing on a white can, "BEER". Cheap. Very Cheap.

Even as a student I didn't have the stones to try it. Something tells me I didn't miss anything.

-NHH
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #78
Chris M
Forum Regular

Most of what goes by the name of India Pale Ale isn't really - Alexander Keith's IPA, brewed in Nova Scotia and now available across Canada, isn't a real IPA (and isn't worth buying either, IMO - though the do have a great TV commercial, complete with piper playing Amazing Grace)

I've been told by the brewmaster at one of our local brew pubs (who make a wonderful IPA) that IPAs were made with lots of hops, which acted as a preservative, allowing the beer to still be good when shipped from England to India in the 18th/19th century (because of course the troops would mutiny if they didn't get their gallon of beer each day) - so a true IPA will have a very strong hoppy taste, and most casual beer drinkers wouldn't like it, on first taste, anyway

3 blizzards in the past 7 days, total snowfall about 4 feet
Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #79
New Hudson Highlander
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, that's true about the hops; more specifically, their use of bittering hops vs. aroma hops. Methinks it's safe to say that the aroma character of the IPA at that time wasn't "important".

Aye, there's nothing like a good bitter Too bad they style gets bastardized.

-NHH
Old 01-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #80
Ernie Halley
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Moosehead Beer used to pretty popular in the Chicago area. I haven't seen too much of it lately.
You could always tell if a guy liked Moosehead.

He had antler marks on the front of his pants.