Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Drew McPheeters
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Drew McPheeters
Default Help teaching rhythm.

OK I have a new student, adult.

I was having him do simple R..L..R..L..R..L.. to the metronome to work on grip and technique. But he could never stay with the metronome.

I told him to drop the stick and just try to tap his right hand with the metronome. Still wasn't able to stay with the metronome.

I told hime to count 1..2..3..4..1..2..3..4.. along with the metronome.Still wasn't able to stay with the metronome.

I added the 8 notes and tried 1.&.2.&.3.&.4.&. Still wasn't able to stay with the metronome.

The guy cannot grasp the concept of a beat. Is this something you either have or you don't? Can this be taught? What else can I try?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
dsb0628
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Help teaching rhythm.

I was like that but possibly not as bad. I started to tap my foot or finger while driving and listening to the beat of the music. Instructor suggested to walk and count 1, 2 and practice, practice walking and counting. Practice the skill at the lesson, demonstrate, have student demonstrate and that is the homework.

This is like telling someone how to ride a bicycle. Doing it is superior to talking about it.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Quiet Piper
Forum Regular

I'm not a drummer, but I think it's an interesting problem. Perhaps it would help to have a metronome with a visible pendulum, so he could see when the beat was going to happen before the sound was made, like one of those old "De Maelzel" pyramid metronomes. (Search on eBay for "vintage metronome".) Some people get information better visually. Watching the metronome beat the time might be a stepping stone to following the beat by ear. Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Drew McPheeters
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Drew McPheeters

I should have mentioned the metronome did have both visual and audio indications.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

I agree with dsb0628 have the student walk back and forth in time with the metronome.

Then walk back and forth and clap their hands in time with their feet.

Then walk back and forth, clap and count to four over and over again.

Then have them stand still, stamp their feet, clap and count to four.

Then have them sit, stamp their feet, clap, and count to four.

Then have them sit, stamp their feet, and hit the table alternately with each hand and count to four.

I always try to back up, start with something obvious that they can do, and add one thing, then another thing until you get the result you are looking for.

Also figuring out whether they are an audio, visual, or physical learner helps you to tailor the teaching approach.

tomm
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

The Awkward Squad was those soldiers who had great difficulty learning to march, so they were separated from the others and given extra time for drill, in a day when armies depended upon their drill in battle.

There are some people who have co-ordination issues, and the army's solution was to drill them until they got it right.

I know a piper who had the same issue for a while, but he eventually got there.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Paul the Drummer
Forum Member

Just tell the guy that he is not cut out to be a drummer...and give him a practice chanter. Seriously you might see if he can sing with a tune. Something with a heavy beat that goes with the words...(Marie's Wedding?) and then clap along with. Come at it from the backdoor so he is not thinkng as much about it.
Paul the Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Shugdrum
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I've found metronomes can be scary things to learners, so instead of asking them to play in time with the click I play some music at various tempos and time signatures. Everyone has a natural rhythm so instead of focusing on timing I concentrate on technique to begin with. Once a learner can hold the sticks and bounce them of the pad properly, I go through the basic rudiments at their own speed and timing seems to improve as their confidence does. Then I'll introduce a metronome to play through sticking exercises.
Shugdrum is offline   Reply With Quote