Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
bridle
Forum Member

Default Fagerstrom Technopipes

Anyone with opinions on these. I am thinking of getting one for practice reasons.

Bridle
bridle is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Mad Pixie
Forum Member

Default Re: Fagerstrom Technopipes

I like it very much.
I use it everyday in my break at work. Or when everybody is asleep at home.
Anders is a very nice guy. He made a special one for me, starting in A by default, instead of Bb, and add a "back hole" for the tumb for the C nat for wee extra money.

Christian
Mad Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Nate Banton
Forum Clasp

Yes, I agree. I retired my practice chanter when I retired my highland pipes. Good riddance to the PC! I play my technopipes often. They work very well, and sound great. And the integrated metronome is very handy indeed.

http://natebanton.com
Nate Banton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
bridle
Forum Member

Is the hole for the thumb on the right hand then. It is possible to play in A as it, is it that right ?.

Bridle
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
bridle
Forum Member

I am an Uilleann piper by trade and I find the practice chanter a real chore of thing to play. The blowing just get´s in the way of the finger-work , which is what Im interested in. I am happy to have my thought´s confirmed by Nate . I imagine the Technopipes with allow me to concentrate on the ornamentation , instead of turning blue in the face blowing the PC. I am playing bellows blown Scottish smallpipes and Uilleannpipes by the way.

Bridle
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
bridle
Forum Member

Trying to delete this unintentional reply but dont know how

Last edited by bridle; 01-26-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Mad Pixie
Forum Member

Thechnopipes can play in A, Bb, C, D and have highland sound plus two smallpipes sounds. Metronome, like Nate says, and many other things...

You can do the Cnat with the "usual" fork fingering, but I ask also for a "hole" for the right hand thumb. Smallpipes can have that if you gently ask the maker...
"I play my technopipes often"
Not too often please. Work non-stop on our wonderful orders...
Hé,hé...
C
Mad Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridle View Post
Is the hole for the thumb on the right hand then. It is possible to play in A as it, is it that right ?.

Yes, they play in A, Bb, C, and D. They start in Bb by default, but you can change it with a special finger combination. You can actually play at any pitch between A and D -- they are continuously adjustable, a nice feature if you want to match the pitch of a recording of someone playing GHB.

I use mine regularly. The built in metronome is handy. I rarely use my "regular" PC anymore. Pretty much just at band practice and lessons. Oh, and I have one in the car. Most of my pracitce is on the GHB, but most of the rest is on Technopipes. They're always in tune, and they sound like bagpipes.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Nate Banton
Forum Clasp

Well Mr. Mad Pixie, unfortunately for me, "often" means only once a week or so. But it's nice to have the option of playing at 11 at night when I have a moment.

http://natebanton.com
Nate Banton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Silver Medal

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA

I wouldn't say every single note on the chanter is perfectly tuned to the drones. Particularly, the B and F are tuned like a piano.
Nevertheless: Perhaps if you're interested you can take a look at this thread for a new release and some sound samples. TTTTired of how out of tune the current Technopipe is, or the substandard drone sound? Well... wait no more!
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/....php?p=1340396