Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Bargaul
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default David Naill Pipes

Hello,

I'm new to the site, this has possible been asked multiple times, but I will ask anyway as a new comer to piping.

Does anyone have experience / use D Naill pipes? . I would be interested to here some experiences of these pipes.
Bargaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: D Naill Pipes

I've played a couple of sets for going on ten years now. I think they're as good an instrument as any available on the market, and I think their standards of craftsmanship are the highest. There are plenty other good makers out there but you certainly won't go wrong with Naill.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: D Naill Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I've played a couple of sets for going on ten years now. I think they're as good an instrument as any available on the market, and I think their standards of craftsmanship are the highest. There are plenty other good makers out there but you certainly won't go wrong with Naill.

Ditto. Long thought as a cut above and a bit more pricey if you are willing. A lightly Used set might be more acceptable/ less costly.
There are a few 'big name' makers to be found in Scotland who also produce very acceptable instruments at a lower cost. I got a very nice used set of Naill for a student recently and I envied them.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Bargaul

Default Re: David Naill Pipes

Thanks el gaiter & CalumII for getting back to me.

I know Chris Armstrong plays a set and some of SFU play them, they do come in at a hire price tag but I guess you get what you pay for.

Can I ask what reeds do you use, are eth easy to read etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've used Ezeedrone tenors and a Kinnaird bass for most of that time, but have found them pretty accepting of most things. I have a pair of Henderson tenor reeds I use for playing in concert pitch and have no issues with them.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Abbott
Forum Member

i bought a set of nail pipes. i had eze drone reeds as standard but as a beginner i found them difficult to set up to take the least amount of air without cutting out . I have since migrated to a colin kyo chanter and chris armstrong xtreme drone reeds and have not touched the drones for 8 months , very easy to fire up and i like the sound .
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Bargaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
i bought a set of nail pipes. i had eze drone reeds as standard but as a beginner i found them difficult to set up to take the least amount of air without cutting out . I have since migrated to a colin kyo chanter and chris armstrong xtreme drone reeds and have not touched the drones for 8 months , very easy to fire up and i like the sound .
Abbott, interesting. Many thanks!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

I use Canning with my Naill. The drone sound is very nice to my ears. Easy to lock in too. I use MacPhee with my Naill chanter.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
Bargaul

Squittingpatrick

Thanks for sharing, its always good to get other inputs!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Great set of pipes. The only I have ever owned...so I don't have anything to compare against. I have played many different drone reeds and chanters successfully.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote