Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member

Default Rubber bands

Applying an rubber band (Dental) around the chanter reed near the lips can make it easier and sharpen the reed slightly. But what difference would the rubber band make if placed over the sound box of the reed?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Rubber bands

Jerry Gibson did an impressive demonstration of how putting a hemp bridle over the sound box of a reed fixed the dreaded "double F" problem, likewise how you could move the bridle up or down a tiny bit to fine-tune the F without having to put tape on the hole.

A rubber band does the same thing, more or less, and some reedmakers put rubber bands on the soundboxes of their reeds as a matter of course.

Jerry felt hemp was better.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #3
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
the dreaded "double F" problem
I've heard this mentioned a few times, but I've never been 100% certain as to what this is referring. Would you mind elaborating slightly as to what the "double f" problem is?

Much obliged,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I've never been 100% certain as to what this is referring.
That's not surprising, because it's yet another example of pipers using quirky terminology specific to piping.

In ordinary music language "double F" can be described as when the note F# sounds F natural. It can stubbornly sound only as F natural, or it can randomly fluctuate between F# and F natural.

In my experience it usually happens when a reed gets really wet. When a band is tuning up for competition oftentimes everyone's pipes are wetter than usual, and a reed that has never exhibited "double F" can suddenly do so at the worst possible time (in the competition circle).

Blowing harder and softer doesn't seem to help.

I've been told around ten different supposed causes and cures for "double F". Who can say what the real cause is, all I know is that wrapping a hemp bridle or rubber band around the sound box fixes it, in most cases.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Rubber bands

Mistook the thread title and expected to read about a very flexible pipe and drum corps!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
).

Blowing harder and softer doesn't seem to help.

I usually cure this by lightly holding the lips together for ten seconds or so ,...with the blades between the "point" of the fingerprint whorl of my index finger and thumb ....and directly about where I envision the E to be situated.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
In ordinary music language "double F" can be described as when the note F# sounds F natural. It can stubbornly sound only as F natural, or it can randomly fluctuate between F# and F natural.
Thank you .. i suspected this is what it was referring to, just wasn't quite certain.

Fortunately, I've rarely run into the issue. Once or twice that I can think of ... I think I probably gave up and changed reeds. Good to know there are some options.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:01 AM   #8
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

The cure for a wonky F on a pipe reed is to send it back to the maker - it's defective.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
The cure for a wonky F on a pipe reed is to send it back to the maker - it's defective.

I had a Pipe Major once who thought the only cure for a "double F" was to throw the reed across the room in a dramatic show of disgust...I rescued it as it had sentimental history but it had served me well for a good while before it's rather sad end.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

I think placing a band just above the wrapping can help stabilize a reed that is acting inconsistent. It also makes the low notes sharper (and the whole reed sharper and easier).
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote