Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Default Bagpipe Chanter Reeds Issues

I recently purchased 4 chanter reeds from a well known company. I have to buy online as I live too far away from suppliers.
All notes were stable at 478Hz except the HG note on 3 of the reeds. These 3 were at the sharpest end of my tuning metre. After applying tape in a very SMALL increment, the pitch would go to the flattest reading on the tuning metre. Any advice of what to do please?
Gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
EKPB_piper
Forum Member

Default Re: Bagpipe Chanter Reeds Issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
All notes were stable at 478Hz except the HG note on 3 of the reeds....Any advice of what to do please?
It could be that the reeds are just needing rehydrating after posting out to you. Do they improve with a bit of mouth blowing? A wee rubber bridle on the sound box may be enough until they get used to being a musical instrument rather than a plant

Robert
EKPB
EKPB_piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKPB_piper View Post
It could be that the reeds are just needing rehydrating after posting out to you. Do they improve with a bit of mouth blowing? A wee rubber bridle on the sound box may be enough until they get used to being a musical instrument rather than a plant

Robert
EKPB
Mouth blew each on a practice, no change..
no bridal used as they are not too strong. I realise a bridal will help with making the pitch a bit sharper. But the HG note went from one extreme to the other!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
I recently purchased 4 chanter reeds from a well known company. I have to buy online as I live too far away from suppliers.
All notes were stable at 478Hz except the HG note on 3 of the reeds. These 3 were at the sharpest end of my tuning metre. After applying tape in a very SMALL increment, the pitch would go to the flattest reading on the tuning metre. Any advice of what to do please?
How long did you play the reed before putting on the tape? If the reed is dry, High G usually will be sharper. If you add a bit of tape on the hole, there shouldn't be a drastic difference in the pitch of that note like you describe. What hz was High G reading compared to the other notes?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
What brand chanter? And age?....wood or poly?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Chris Apps

You could try opening the mouth of the reeds a little. Scraping the reeds in the center just below the tips will also bring this note down.

Chris
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Wild guess - could the tuner have been reading the next note up? Then the tape brought it back to reading a high pitch of the actual note?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
Wild guess - could the tuner have been reading the next note up? Then the tape brought it back to reading a high pitch of the actual note?
Don't know. My other chanter & the other 4th of the purchases doesn't do the same.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Apps View Post
You could try opening the mouth of the reeds a little. Scraping the reeds in the center just below the tips will also bring this note down.

Chris
All 3 of them ??
Old 07-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What brand chanter? And age?....wood or poly?
McC2, 12 months and wood.