Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Default Why Logan's Tutor

It is not my intent to be churlish or derisive in asking this question. I really want to learn if there's something I don't understand.

It seems that a number of people out there swear by the Logan's tutor book. But to me (and I have not looked at one for about a year now), in the first few pages, it seems very bare bones before it rather quickly gets into some reasonably complicated embellished tunes. Whereas the CoP Green Book is somewhat more expansive on some of the basics and tends to move you a little slower in the tune direction.

And way beyond the Green Book for detail would be the Bagpipe Solution set by John Cairns.
And while I have not seen one, I hear the National Piping Center book is some more detailed than the Green Book, though not nearly as much as the Cairns set.

So, with all that, why the Logan's book for a rank beginner?
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Why Logan's Tutor

I Think all the resources you mentioned are excellent...some,...depending on which you’re instructor learned from....might be ‘better’ than another for a minor reason. IMO They all will get the job done ...and are a good add on to personal face to face with a good instructor. Reading these multiple times let’s a little more sink in each time or open another door for newbies.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I lost my Logan's years ago, but one thing I miss is the exercises. They were very useful to keep the fingering of embellishments in shape. And the tunes were well picked, in my opinion. Some were a little complex, but I don't recall them being too complex for me when I was a beginner.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #4
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

As far as I'm concerned, they're all tools to aid a tutor in working with a student. So depending on the teacher, -any- of the aforementioned books can "work."

I think of them more as how one would use reference/text books for class, in that they should not be used to replace the instructor.

Case and point, there are plenty of college courses I'd taken with which I'd chosen to skip buying the book, and paid attention in class instead. On the flipside, I practically slept through a few courses, choosing to try and "bone up" with the book before tests.

Inevitably, I did far better in the instances where I'd paid attention in class, taking good notes. By boning up with the book, I was doing the equivalent of teaching myself, which obviously isn't the smart way to go.

So I think the same principle applies here, with piping teachers/book ... especially since, regardless of whether or not I bought the book in college, I most-excelled in the classes that had a really effective teacher.

A great majority people are going to be most partial to using/recommending what THEY had when THEY were learning. So I'm thinking that's what's happening here ... plenty of people were taught from Logan's, so that's their "go to."

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 11-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

I think of them more as how one would use reference/text books for class, in that they should not be used to replace the instructor.
Exactly.....most all are good/great to some degree...and likely all with ( should have) pretty much the same info ...explained in more or less detail and verbiage. I’ve found looking over each different resource might provide just a little slant on “how to..” for ornaments phrasing or whatever the concept.

Interesting....maybe for younger USA kids not yet so ‘worldly’ (ie ‘ global’) ..might be quite perplexed,...dude,....by some of the older classics...written in Scots - UK English prose and terminology.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

I'm glad to be able to say that I've had some sort of involvement in all three of the books mentioned. I was taught out of Logan's, which was edited and revised by my father, and my name is on the list of authors of the National Piping Centre tutor and I have just revised, with care, the Green Tutor of the College of Piping.

I'd definitely say that either the NPC or the College tutors are the way to go these days out of the ones under discussion; Logan's was great in bygone days but is pretty outdated now. It doesn't have much which holds the interest of a more modern youngster. I'm sure it's time it was edited again!

Sandy Jones "Beginning the Bagpipe" by the way, is also excellent.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
I'm glad to be able to say that I've had some sort of involvement in all three of the books mentioned. I was taught out of Logan's, which was edited and revised by my father, and my name is on the list of authors of the National Piping Centre tutor and I have just revised, with care, the Green Tutor of the College of Piping.

I'd definitely say that either the NPC or the College tutors are the way to go these days out of the ones under discussion; Logan's was great in bygone days but is pretty outdated now. It doesn't have much which holds the interest of a more modern youngster. I'm sure it's time it was edited again!

Sandy Jones "Beginning the Bagpipe" by the way, is also excellent.
I would go on which score the 3/4s correctly! Last I looked the NPC hadn't corrected - have you revised this in the COP one ? And now I'm ducking for cover before you clobber me with your bass drone.........but honestly, I haven't seen the revised COP one so genuinely don't know.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
I would go on which score the 3/4s correctly! Last I looked the NPC hadn't corrected - have you revised this in the COP one ? And now I'm ducking for cover before you clobber me with your bass drone.........but honestly, I haven't seen the revised COP one so genuinely don't know.
Heather, sorry to be the daft person here, but to what are you referring when you say "score the 3/4s correctly?"

I'm curiously interested, thanks!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nate...ha!...how did you miss the last 687 recent posts about this?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Nate...ha!...how did you miss the last 687 recent posts about this?
Ha, apparently?