Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-08-2018, 02:59 AM   #1
Robin73
Forum Member

Default David Glen Edinburgh Collection

I've just discovered this fantastic source of Pibroch settings. I'm surprised it isn't more often mentioned.

https://ceolsean.net/content/EdinColl/EdinColl_TOC.html

The notation strikes me as particularly clear, concise and consistent. Although often only the ground is presented, when variations do appear, it is easy to see how they relate to the urlar and evolve systematically from it. The notation of ornaments seems very logical and there are some interesting notes scattered throughout.

I'm excited about exploring these settings.

Does anyone else find them to be of value? In what ways?
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: David Glen Edinburgh Collection

Good, widely available source for piobaireachd for those in the lower grades who have competition events that call for the ground and next variation. Price is pretty attractive.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Lovely collection of works. He was a very thoughtful compiler, an explorer of the tradition who yielded independent and creative versions. Natural and very musical extensions of the living art. Well worth looking at and certainly competing from. Bring copies with you.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Jay Close
Forum Clasp

Jim Barrie told me his father was taught largely from the Glen collection when he was instructed by John MacDougall Gillies. I've recently been looking at Glen's compilation, The Music of Clan MacLean, also on Ceolsean. There's some intriguing stuff there, as well.
Jay Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
Robin73
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blunt View Post
Good, widely available source for piobaireachd for those in the lower grades who have competition events that call for the ground and next variation.
That's very interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that these days you had to play full Pibrochs to compete. Did I get that wrong? What are the contexts where I could compete with partial Pibrochs please?
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin73 View Post
That's very interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that these days you had to play full Pibrochs to compete. Did I get that wrong? What are the contexts where I could compete with partial Pibrochs please?

In some of the North American pipe band associations, such as the Midwest PBA, rules allow grade 4 piobaireachd competitors to submit a ground and first variation after the ground for contests instead of playing the whole tune. So competitor A might submit the ground and Taorluath singling of "Lament for Donald of Laggan" while competitor B might submit the whole of "The Pretty Dirk" and competitor C might submit the first two parts of "Lament for the Only Son".

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I believe some associations allow entry-grade pipers to play ground-only, or ground plus 1st variation. In the EUSPBA, I believe some events offer a choice of either full piobaireachd, or ground-only for grade 4. In the WUSPBA, I believe grade 4 only plays ground and first numbered variation.

Anyway, everywhere is different.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Jim McGillivray

David Glen was a huge figure, not only as a pipemaker, but as a compiler. Many great players, including John MacDonald of Inverness, considered his piobaireachd collection the most significant source. Here is a bio of David Glen:

https://pipetunes.ca/composer/david-glen/

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

I take copies of the Glen "Ancient Piobaireachd" arrangements with me and judges always seem to appreciate their clear notation. No question about the authority of his work.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Robin do you know of the CLASP (Competing League for Amateur Solo Pipers) competitions held around the country, and presented by the National Piping Centre. Once graded for Piobaireachd and/or light music you would compete at whatever Grade you were assigned to, and present part or full pionaireachds as required.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote