Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
mctxp
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Where can I get an economically priced kilt?

Hi All,
How are you. I like to know any online store where I can get economical priced Kilt for my son who is 5 feet 6 inches tall. Please let m e know.
Thanks
Rajan
mctxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Where can I get an economically priced kilt?

What is your definition of economically priced?

Do you want wool? Or are you okay with polyviscose?

Do you have a specific tartan in mind?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
mctxp
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I am fine with polyviscose. It is for solo playing. It can be of any color/pattern.
mctxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

You might seek out a kilt attire rental shop to see if they have reasonably priced ‘real’ kilts for sale at a low cost....vs ending up with a pleated ‘skirt’.;
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

In a pinch, I've used Still Water kilts in the past.

http://store.stillwaterkilts.com/woolkilts.html

I'd go for wool, as I'd gotten an acrylic kilt, and I wasn't particularly thrilled with the material look/feel. I do consider it to be passable in a stage setting or in a pub or something, but I'd shy way from wearing it at a competition. Also, they seem to run big, so measure carefully.

In my opinion, renting a kilt for even a couple of days would likely run up about as much as buying one of their wool ones. If you don't like it, they offer free return within 30 days, but I think you need to pay shipping.

Also, I've been tempted to try this place out ... seems reasonable, and they have lots of good info.

kiltsociety.com/

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-02-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
David D.
Forum Regular

J. Higgins in Kansas has always had good prices.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

There is a website forum called xmarksthescot.com with several kiltmakers as advertisers: Stillwater kilts, USA Kilts, Freedom Kilts, among others. Word has it both Stillwater and USA kilts have reasonably priced kilts, and some tartans are readily available in PV. You can search over there for more reviews.

I also second the idea of looking into 'retired' rental kilts. As usual, caveat emptor.

When ordering, be sure to follow the measurement guidelines preferred by whichever site you choose. They do vary.

In the interest of full disclosure, xmarksthescot is owned by the owner of Freedom Kilts, though he makes it a point to be fair and impartial and not press upon the forum members who's "in charge".
Old 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

....a point about measuring....if kneeling and measuring down to the floor ( from the top of level waistbelt/natural waist) you are doomed to have a kilt landing at the middle of your kneecap at least...but likely well below due to slippage.

The look is totally dork old school marm or Ruth Buzzy ( look her up) spinster....completed with hose tops pulled up as if 1960’s Bermuda shorts BanLon Knee socks. And virtually no skin showing at all.

Be wise...economize....IMO and many...the kilt length should rest at the top of the kneecap...not below....even up to an inch higher is ok. Hose tops at the (your) 3 fingers below the side knee bone.

An excellent visual guide?....tune in to the Alec Guinness Tunes of Glory flick.

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
DRCanady
Forum Member

This is the place. My son and I both purchased kilts here. We've had them for a year now and have worn them dozens of times. You can buy wool kilts there too but their acrylic wool kilts for $79.99 is a great deal. They are heavy and we get lots of complements. Their tartan selection is great too.

Atlantakilts.com acrylic kilts

Take your time measuring. Directions are on their website.
DRCanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I got mine from The Celtic Croft, and what was amazing is they sent it to me in seven days after I ordered it, and it was a custom item. I have no clue how they got an off colored tartan in that fast and got it made but it was THERE in a heartbeat. They have cheap kilts and expensive kilts, and were the nicest folks I ever have dealt with as well getting a kilt. My kids are getting theirs from them too.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote