Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
MaverickBrittany
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Interesting short read "The keening whine and thrilling drone of the bagpipes"

Great to see a bagpipe program in a high school in the US. I wonder how many there are like this in the US and Canada?

https://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/20...rone-bagpipes/
MaverickBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Interesting short read "The keening whine and thrilling drone of the bagpipes"

Happy to see my alma mater get some recognition! I know we the first high school pipe band in California and one of the first this side of the Mississippi.

The pipe band there is how I got started on pipes and I took over teaching the pipe band for a few years while pursuing my degree and credential in music education.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Interesting short read "The keening whine and thrilling drone of the bagpipes"

We have the Shadle Park High School Pipe Band here in Spokane (they're the Highlanders!) The pipe band has been around since the late 50's and, as I understand, they go the same fluctuations of numbers of students wanting to learn the pipes. I think there is also another high school program on the west side of the state as well.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

A good read... and... a really good program!!

Thanks for the Post!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Absolutely fantastic. These stories inspire me so much. Also--as many of you know, I'm trying to get teens introduced to the pipes in my school in Brush, Colorado, and in that regard not have it be a "rah rah I play bagpipes" in name and rant only but REALLY get a group together that takes pride in practice and which wants to play well. As such, I had my students march to the middle of the football field a week ago before the Special Olympics Brush Track meet, with 8 teams watching, and I had one student play Amazing Grace with me on his chanter and the others did low A as a drone set, and one girl played a bodhran drum as we marched to the field. We did this as a memorial for their coach, who passed away 3 weeks ago unexpectedly to colon cancer at the age of 73. The response was amazing from all the participants but even more so from the parents watching. These kids have little or no self esteem due to their disabilities so just to get them onto the field and then PLAY was amazing in itself. I was so proud of them. They also decided they want to grow their group--so they are inviting all their general education friends to come and join the Beetdigger Pipes and Drums now! So far we've had 4 more kids and two of the teacher aides are wanting to play drums as well! This story here will inspire them to do even more, and the best thing when I read these stories is that its keeping piping alive and well for the next generation--so awesome.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

We have three High Schools here in Southern California that have bagpipe programs. (That I know of, there might be more.)

Helix I had heard of but didn't know anything about.

The ones I know more about are Glendora High School and Upland High School.

Both schools have turned out many players over the years which have gone on to Grade One bands, and both schools have excellent piping instruction.

Glendora gets national exposure regularly due to their appearances in the Rose Parade in Pasadena (Glendora is nearby).

Here is Glendora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZsqeKTVXo

Were there others here? La Habra High School used to have a pipe band, I believe.

I was told an interesting story by the band director of John F Kennedy High School in Anaheim: he said that many years ago they were remodeling the band room and the workers found a door that had been plastered over during a previous remodeling. When the door was opened it led to a storage room that was full of bagpipes. I tried to talk the guy into starting up a piping program but he had no interest in it.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 05-12-2018 at 03:59 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote