Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default When is a Piobaireachd not a piobaireachd

Pondering the above question, I'd be interested in what people think. Does it have to be a Theme and Variations format? Does it have to include Taorluaths, Crunluaths etc.? Presumably there has to be enough of something to merit it being categorised as a Piobaireachd, otherwise someone could write a Reel and call it Piobaireachd. But what ARE those essential ingredients ? In your opinion?
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: When is a Piobaireachd not a piobaireachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
...someone could write a Reel and call it Piobaireachd.

Isn't that correct?
However, ceol mor it is not!
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Teeeeeeecchnically any bagpipe music is Piobaireachd...

Piobaireachd literally translates to ďpipe playingĒ

So in that context yes.

In the context of Ceol Mor (the big music)

I donít think so. I believe Piobaireachd is meant to have a ground and variations....

But Iím not a Piobaireachd expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Quote:
Does it have to include Taorluaths, Crunluaths etc.?
Definitely not -- assuming that we define "piobaireachd" to include The Pretty Dirk and The Old Woman's Lullaby, to name two very short tunes that seem pretty universally to be considered "piobaireachd". Neither includes either a Taorluath or Crunluath variation, though The Pretty Dirk has some taorluath embellishments.

Quote:
Does it have to be a Theme and Variations format?
Again, if The Pretty Dirk is a piobaireachd, then "theme and one variation" is sufficient.

Quote:
Presumably there has to be enough of something to merit it being categorised as a Piobaireachd, otherwise someone could write a Reel and call it Piobaireachd. But what ARE those essential ingredients? In your opinion?
Wow, this is piper nerd-sniping if I ever saw it!
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
Definitely not -- assuming that we define "piobaireachd" to include The Pretty Dirk and The Old Woman's Lullaby, to name two very short tunes that seem pretty universally to be considered "piobaireachd". Neither includes either a Taorluath or Crunluath variation, though The Pretty Dirk has some taorluath embellishments.

Again, if The Pretty Dirk is a piobaireachd, then "theme and one variation" is sufficient.

Wow, this is piper nerd-sniping if I ever saw it!
Yup . Even the piobaireachd society doesn't have a particularly rigorous definition. I think it's generally accepted that competition playing has an unwritten consensus around what sorts of tune are acceptable (eg. that have all the variations we're generally familiar with), but I don't think that's an expansive definition. Certainly, there are some very old tunes that fundamentally reflect the Scottish piping idiom that do NOT have all those components, and which really should be considered "big music."
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

To quote Justice Potter Stewart's famous concurrence on what counts as obscenity, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it...."

I think that description works pretty well for piobaireachd too.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Whitson View Post
To quote Justice Potter Stewart's famous concurrence on what counts as obscenity, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it...."

I like that quote. And perhaps that's a near as one can get.......
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
I like that quote. And perhaps that's a near as one can get.......

Iím pretty sure that is the definitive explanation of Piobaireachd lol

We donít know, but we know. We canít explain but we can show. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Taking a look at the corpus, I note several genres of pibroch: salutes, gatherings, laments, militia, commemorations, rowing tunes, lullabies, taunts.

Which makes me think of pibroch as music (with theme and variations) for important occasions of life.

Except for dances.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Graineag
Forum Member

Allan MacDonald noted that there's a piobaireachd arrangement in one of the old manuscripts (I can't remember which) of "Gabhaidh Sinn an Rathad MÚr" ("We'll Take the High Road"). Similarly, some tunes like "Bodaich nam Briogais" have a certain "ditty"-like quality to them.

I saw a tutorial on piobaireachd playing in a piping magazine online a while back (again, can't remember which, sorry) that arranged "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" as a piobaireachd for demonstration purposes.

Isn't it something like close to a third of the 300+ tunes we know of that don't have T & C variations? I was flipping through PS 1 this morning and happened to notice that "The Big Spree" was printed with T & C variations. In Kilberry, the tune ends after the siubhal doubling. Interestingly, in the editorial notes on the tune in PS 1, the editors (i.e., J.P. Grant and Archibald Campbell) wrote that the Piob. Society favors the setting w/o T & C variations but printed them for pipers who wanted to play the tune in competition.

I wonder sometimes to what extent old pipers may have varied the number of variations they played based on the occasion, how the pipes were behaving, mood, audience, etc. While I don't want to suggest that they took a complete "pick & mix" approach, there are a few tunes I think I would enjoy playing much more minus a variation or two in the middle.
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote