Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #61
JP Cahill
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: What happened at McCain's memorial service

I mostly just felt sorry for the guy.

My overall impression -- based on the youtube video played over tablet speakers -- was that he was probably a decent piper who panicked. The pipes seemed to me to be tuned well. That's not a given with some of the brethren. Might've been a bad chanter reed but my feeling was that it was more likely fingers not landing cleanly on holes, i.e., a bit of panic. Live and in person might have given a different impression than tablet speakers but that's what it sounded like to me.

But should a G-5 piper have accepted a gig like that anyway? Nope. But sometimes you don't realize how you're going to react until it's too late.
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #62
Jim McGillivray

I think the blame goes on the person responsible for hiring the piper. Not much due diligence here.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 PM   #63
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

"May I make note... that there are none here... or anywhere
else... who are immune to... or who are exempt from... a bad
reed... or bad temp/humidity difficulties... or sudden fidgets...
or just a bad go... try... plan... and prepare... though we might.
(And that's... just the way of it.)"

Sorry. But no. I no longer do weddings, funerals, etc., but when I did, I came prepared with a second set of pipes [my concert A set], fully reeded, ready to go in an emergency. And I never accepted a gig that was clearly beyond my capacity (which was modest).

During the years that I led the Vermont Statewide Veterans Day Parade as a solo piper, marching/playing just a few feet ahead of the Vermont Congressional Delegation, Pearl Harbor survivors, et. al., I kept on my person spare reeds and even a spare chanter.

The guy should have not have played. Rigler set the standard for nationwide, high profile, high pressure funerals, and that standard should be the norm.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #64
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
On the day: using a MCS that became disconnected after tuning, the hose rode up into the bag and was obstructing airflow to the reed.
Ah, the glory of new technology!

Sorry to sound like "get off my lawn" guy but traditional sheepskin, with a Moose valve, and no other gimmickry is my preferred thing and these sorts of mishaps can't happen. (For sure there are still plenty of other possible mishaps.)

Still and all, a second set of pipes ready to go would have saved the gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Not sure why he’s using an MCS in Arizona
Exactly what I was thinking!

Though there is the use of MCS to get MORE moisture to the chanter reed, by putting a wet sea-sponge in the chamber (after removing all the granules of course).
Old 09-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #65
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McGillivray View Post
I think the blame goes on the person responsible for hiring the piper. Not much due diligence here.

JM
Yes,...too late now but surprising for all the pre-planning.

Surprising too the US military wasn’t polled and a credible performer ....in a USA military uniform ...was not sought from within.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #66
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Ah, the glory of new technology!

Sorry to sound like "get off my lawn" guy but traditional sheepskin, with a Moose valve, and no other gimmickry is my preferred thing and these sorts of mishaps can't happen. (For sure there are still plenty of other possible mishaps.)

Still and all, a second set of pipes ready to go would have saved the gig.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Though there is the use of MCS to get MORE moisture to the chanter reed, by putting a wet sea-sponge in the chamber (after removing all the granules of course).

AZ is drier than where I am and I don’t even use my tube trap unless it’s really muggy.

And if he’s not keeping up his maintenance I doubt he’d be that advanced in his theory lol

Interesting concept tho, I’d never thought of adding moisture thru the MCS

————————————————————
https://www.facebook.com/DamhCabrach
Old 09-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #67
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Joining the Dog Pile late but my 2 cents worth:

Yes, I did equate his playing to nails on a chalk slate and could not bare to endure but a line and two bars at most.

I also feel he was probably rushed and misfortune took advantage of the situation to his eternal embarrassment. However, I also have a few opinions on some circumstantial aspects of the performance.

We don't know how much time he was allowed to set and tune his pipes at the venue. I usually try to arrive early for events but if the Sound Crew is already performing their checks you've arrived late and tuning in a small room doesn't equate to the stage or hall. You now have 5 minutes to tune because some one is off schedule doesn't aid you.

Yes, he may of had a MCS malfunction, however that is indicative of other problems in preparation. I determined early on that I do not like a canister system in my bag, and thus don't use one. I do however use the hose to the canister in my bag to route air flow to the back of the bag. hat works for myself may not work for others, and vis a versa. So I shan't comment more upon that.

We don't know how much experience he has had as a solo piper before audiences.For myself, I loathe being focused upon as he was. My worst experience was when a TV News Reporter/Camera Man focused upon me in a performance. That disrupted my concentration, never a good thing nomatter how well practiced you are otherwise. Trust me a camera lamp full on in your face is something many are not prepared for. The next time it occurred I kept my composure, by closing my eyes and focusing specifically on the piece I was performing. That was a lesson learned.

Not knowing anything about the piper, or his abilities, all I can honestly say it was a painful performance to hear. I know I've made many mistakes so I tried not to be too scathing on a FB with a group I post too. But yes, that was a dog pile as well in some regards.

So if nothing else what lessons do we each individually take away from his few moments on the National Stage?
o Bagpipe maintenance should be an ongoing practice.
o having a second reed that's been played in and ready to go is a good thing. or conversely if we can afford it a second set of pipes.
o Murphy is a Bastard and will victimize anyone anywhere at any time.
o There is no substitute for practice and preparation.

So there is some of my take. His misfortune should be a learning experience for us as well.
I know I'm only adequate as a piper. Though I like to think I'm better than that.

Similarly, and be honest; How many of us are also poster children for the Been There Done That demotivational poster?
Old 09-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #68
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I find the innuendo and assumptions here amazing, if not disturbing. Pipes had something fall into the chanter stock five minutes before the performance, he thought he had it fixed and it wigged out on him. The criticisms are NOT deserved and those of you who think you've got it "all together" enough to criticize best be ready. Karma is what it is.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #69
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainspiper View Post
I find the innuendo and assumptions here amazing, if not disturbing. Pipes had something fall into the chanter stock five minutes before the performance, he thought he had it fixed and it wigged out on him. The criticisms are NOT deserved and those of you who think you've got it "all together" enough to criticize best be ready. Karma is what it is.

Regardless, his performance was deplorable... the version I got was he did not fix the issue, he chose to be rushed on stage and found out the hard way why you don’t disregard maintenance

————————————————————
https://www.facebook.com/DamhCabrach
Old 09-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #70
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainspiper View Post

Pipes had something fall into the chanter stock five minutes before the performance, he thought he had it fixed and it wigged out on him.
Ive been wondering what actually happened. Did the piqued piper post here on BDF the actual scenario of what went awry?
Closed Thread