Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Odd/obsolete embellishments

David Glen in particular is highly regarded for his editing skill, so presumably things found in his collections are probably notated how he thought they should go.

I like finding things in the old books and trying to figure out what the intention was. Sometimes I find stuff that sounds really cool, but I haven't really incorporated any of into my own playing.

But sometimes things go the other way -- I put bits of GHB into my tin whistle playing. The dre movement from piob, particularly.

Jim McGillivray's Piobaireachd Fingerwork has some discussion of "archaic" embellishments (pretty much everything that was ever printed in piob. collections). Obviously focused exclusively on piobaireachd, but it might give you some insights.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
David Glen in particular is highly regarded for his editing skill

Yes. I always find it mildly amusing when people debate whether or not the "redundant low A" was played or not when his tutor states as clear as day that it was.

It's also interesting to compare David's tutor to his forebear's, Thomas Glen's tutor, which is little better than that prefixed to Donald MacDonald's collection.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #13
BGP
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
Hello,
One thing I noticed, as you no doubt you have also, was the elimination of many of these 19th century embellishments, in favour of a more homogenous style which came in among the champion competitive pipers of the very early 20th century (Ross, Maclennan, Henderson,etc) and trickled down to others over the decades supported by modern written scores.
I wrote a little something about archaic fingering technique for the Pipers' gathering a few years ago and I am currently expanding the piece for general reading. It should be ready sometime in the new year and I will let everyone know when it becomes available.
cheers,
Barry
Thank you Barry, I look forward to reading it.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote