Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default A Thank You for the community and companies that we have

I'm positive we all have other hobbies or areas where we spend time outside of piping and so have experiences with other hobby-worlds (I've had great experiences such as in Pilates and aviating among others). But recently I returned to pipes after two or so years off and have been re-reminded of what we have in our community... especially on the Dunsire forums.

Last week I tried to describe what GHB'ing is like to a group of engineering friends who were asking me about it. I mentioned how there are people from all over the world giving advice, experiences, stories. How the instrument itself and music are such different worlds in and of themselves- except they are not at the same time. It's very difficult to express or understand unless you are in it. In this case my friends did understand to a degree, mentioned other hobbies with similar bases such as cycling, other instruments, traveling etc. that they're a part of. However, even in those communities you probably don't have the person who is one of the top people in the world, and/or the actual maker of the product you're discussing, post in a forum or talk to you in person to tell us all how they designed it or giving advice on how to get the most out of it.

It's just incredible that we're genuinely here to exchange ideas and fascination despite ability or perception or status; most here and in person are so patient and willing to help. I really appreciate that and how brilliant yet mad our eccentric instrument is.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: A Thank You for the community and companies that we have

An additional special thank you to those pipers and pipe makers in the industry who donate their knowledge, customer service, and years of experience for the betterment and growth of all of us. There are so, so many (again we are so lucky in this community) but a few I have come to really appreciate and found helpful in my journey are Gordon MacDonald at Island Bagpipes, Robert MacNeil of BMW, Stephen MacNeil of Henderson Imports, Kenny MacLeod of McCallum, Craig Munrow, Willie McCallum, Rick Pettigrew of Dunbar, Roddy MacLellan, Murray Blair, and Jack Lee.

A very big thank you especially to Jim McGillivray who I continually find renewed appreciation for. Going back through Rhythmic Fingerwork now and have a set of his reproduction pipes on the way from Dunbar. My original instructor Rob Barrick and Andrew Douglas of Piper's Dojo whose videos are fantastic.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes!!... and indeed!!...

For we... here... Fortune has truely... smiled upon us!! :)

Last edited by Pip01; 03-31-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Couldnít agree more.... those kind folks at the top of the tree being so generous with their advice and comments doesnít happen anything like as much in other spheres....

In my experience most of the commercial suppliers Iíve dealt with have been equally helpful, often way beyond what you might expect from other businesses.....

my gratitude to all
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
However, even in those communities you probably don't have the person who is one of the top people in the world, and/or the actual maker of the product you're discussing, post in a forum or talk to you in person to tell us all how they designed it or giving advice on how to get the most out of it.
Hear hear. I bet guitar players would scream at the opportunity of getting to learn from Jimmy Page or Les Paul or some other prestigious player.

I definitely fanboyed (and still very much do when I see these following folks again at Highland Games or wherever I run into them) when I first got to meet Aaron Shaw, Bruce Hitchings, and Roddy MacLeod. How fortunate are we?

Thanks for the positive vibes. I love posts like this.

Last edited by salmunmousavi; 04-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

And let's not forget the composers who are extremely generous with their IP. It's never cost more than a few pennies for me to legally and morally obtain or perform, and even record (for fundraising), a piece of music.

We're either doing this very very wrong. Or very very right. I'll let people with composition skills debate that. Either way, I'm impressed by them and thank them.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote