Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pakistani Bagpipe Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMT

I have had the "fun" of trying to make Pakistani sets just work on a regular basis as people bring the junk they purchased on the internet around for set up.

Greetings, PMT... and to All,

I... too... have undergone... this experience... but just
the once, mind. :)

And here was the way of it...

A mate had middle-aged student (45-ish)... and the
fellow was doing quite well on the practice chanter...
and beginning to consider the various avenues of
approach... to obtaining his first set of pipes... :)

Meanwhile... two of his nephews... in their 20s... and
with their not knowing the difference between chanter
reeds and carrots... saved their money... and went out
and bought thier much-beloved uncle... his first set of
pipes... as their present to him.

And straight from Sialkot... they came...

My friend's student brought them over to him... to help
properly set up... my friend was aghast!! ... and called
me... as I... (sometimes :) ... can pull rabbits out of hats...
with the physical mechanics of pipes. (I own several
rather large hammers. :)

So my friend, the student/uncle... and I... had a look-see
at our now new endeavor... sigh....

Well... it wasn't impossible... but 'twas going to be..uphill...

From the student/uncle's view.. the most important thing...
was that his two nephews... not be embarrassed.

We swapped the chanter... and I took them with me... and
worked on them... off and on... for three days. (Oiled and
smoothed the bores, decent reeds, bag seasoned, etc.)

Finally...finally... some decent results... and playable tunes!!

Now... they weren't going to win any prizes... but that wasn't
the point. (I was not proud... I was simply... grateful.)

Took them back at the uncle's next lesson... and the three
of us fiddled about with them... gave them a go... got the
uncle comfortable with them... and the uncle then took them
home with him... and played them for about six weeks... until
he secured a good used set from a local band.

And he sometimes plays them still... with now-blocked drones...
and as his own... and very special... private goose... :)

And all ended quite wonderfully well... with a proud-of-his-
nephews uncle... happy nephews... and a relieved teacher... :)

Howsomever... this once... was a gracious plenty... proving
to be... and indeed... a surfeit !!

And... as with PMT... "I shall not pass this way again."... :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 03-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Pip01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #22
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

I dunno. It's like putting a leather binding with gold tooling on a phone book, or doing some intricate inlay work with oak and mahogany on a linoleum kitchen counter. It might amuse, but it's a waste of time and resource in my view.

I never have enough time to do pipe maintenance on any set of pipes that I am not currently playing anyway.

If I had time to do craft works, I would put a leather binding on a portfolio of illustrations done on art paper, and put mahogany chessboard inlay on an accent table, something worthy of the countless hours of extra effort. And if I am to indulge in a quixotic project, I would work on my cane drone reeds first.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:57 AM   #23
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

While modern bagpipes made in Pakistan are what they are supposed to be early products from Sialkot made under British rule were much better, and some are actually rather good. Recently I bought and resold such a set, made from sheesham and fully mounted with real ivory. The turning was neat, the bores were straight and the sound pleasant and stable. This is easily explained because these instruments had to be competitive and comply to British standards. I just bought a chanter from the 1920's-1930's stamped "GLEN BROS SIALKOT" - a brand unknown even to Jeannie Campbell and either a Glen fraud (the shape is an imitation of Glen's) or a genuine maker turning and selling pipes and chanters locally for the Edinburgh firm. Being made of Sheesham with a plated sole (the silver coating is extremely thin and worn) I expected "unholy crap" but lo and behold, the chanter is neatly turned and bored and plays wonderfully, much like a Scottish chanter from the same period.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #24
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

https://pipingpress.com/2019/03/27/h...pakistan-army/

Interesting article re-published in the Piping Press from the late Lt Col David Murray about his time judging piping competitions in the Pakistani Army back in the early 1960s.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #25
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Thoughts this thread was as good a place to post this: A showdown between a $130 Pakistani bagpipe from Amazon vs my 2018 Peter Henderson Heritage Bagpipes. Full unboxing, setup and review. And of course, the battle between the pipes!

https://youtu.be/KyUxVu_mis0
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #26
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiper View Post
Thoughts this thread was as good a place to post this: A showdown between a $130 Pakistani bagpipe from Amazon vs my 2018 Peter Henderson Heritage Bagpipes. Full unboxing, setup and review. And of course, the battle between the pipes!

https://youtu.be/KyUxVu_mis0
Thanks for posting, this is interesting to me as I have had students in the past show up with Pakistani made bagpipes. There is no doubt that the tonal quality is a lot less than your Peter Henderson bagpipe, but was this a fair evaluation? Striking in a new bagpipe with new reeds is not a fair comparison to an already set up and going bagpipe. I obtained a set of vintage Henderson drones back in the Fall and it took almost two months blowing them in before I was satisfied with the new Canning reeds I put in them (now they are my solo gig set).

Most folks I know who are playing the Pakistani sets are replacing the bag, oiling the wood, and using a poly chanter from a more reputable maker. They are able to get a better tone. The main attraction of these types of bagpipe is that they appeal to folks who want to go cheap. Not my cup of tea, but if you can get a reasonably good tone, more power to you.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #27
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

The next video (due next Thursday) will be doing all of those things (new drone reeds, new bag, possibly a new chanter or at least dremeling this one).

But as you can see in the current video, I spent the better part of 20 minutes attempting to set up the reeds and chanter. It was not just throwing them in there and going. I spent about the same amount of time initially setting up my Hendersons as I did the Amazon pipes here, so I feel it quite fair.

It's too much, in my opinion, to ask a beginner to switch out the bag, oil the pipes, switch the drone reeds and set them up properly (which will be difficult, since the drone reeds are designed around modern highland pipe bores and not whatever bore measurements these Amazon pipes have).

And if they're anything like the Pakistani-made pipes I first got in the mid 90s, the wood will swell until you cannot move/tune the pipes while playing. But that will have to wait until I'm ready to do an extended play testing next week...

But that's all just my opinion...
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #28
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
The next video (due next Thursday) will be doing all of those things (new drone reeds, new bag, possibly a new chanter or at least dremeling this one).

It's too much, in my opinion, to ask a beginner to switch out the bag, oil the pipes, switch the drone reeds and set them up properly (which will be difficult, since the drone reeds are designed around modern highland pipe bores and not whatever bore measurements these Amazon pipes have).
Fair to presume that the cost of new reeds, new bag, and needed maintenance supplies would easily exceed the cost of the pipes in the first place. Likely at lest double if a new chanter is needed (which I'm sure would be preferable).

All fairness to chanter though, I feel like it's common that many pipers would prefer to pick and choose their own chanter when they acquire a set of pipes.

Cool video.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Even with the polyester thread hemping?

By the way - wasn't this experiment tried years ago with very much success (fooled several prominent pipers) by a guy who actually sold the pipes from his business in Canada?

Quote:

....wood will swell until you cannot move/tune the pipes while playing. But that will have to wait until I'm ready to do an extended play testing next week...

But that's all just my opinion...
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #30
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
Even with the polyester thread hemping?

By the way - wasn't this experiment tried years ago with very much success (fooled several prominent pipers) by a guy who actually sold the pipes from his business in Canada?
I think so ... but personally I think this video could be a good and illustrative example of what the difference will be for your average, would-be purchaser of the "Amazon special." 99% of the market for these products will be people who are new to the instrument, and are just trying to dip their toe in the water to try things out.

These folks certainly don't have the know-how to essentially transform such things into a semi-workable set. It's hard enough to get started without the added issue of the instrument being difficult from the get-go.

My 2 anyway.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote