Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #31
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Pakistani Bagpipe Challenge

And again, to reiterate, this test was using only the supplied items (sticks, bag, reeds). In the video, I show step-by-step that the instrument, at least the one I purchased, cannot be made playable without aftermarket items.

I've been messaged I could have spent longer tuning the drones, but in reality, the bag was so awkward I had to stop as it was hurting my lips and teeth both with the downward pressure of the blowpipe. It's not worth injuring myself over this experiment!

The next video will feature a new bag, new drone reeds, and a modified chanter (or even a new chanter if it can't be dremeled into tune), as well as an extended play testing to make sure the pipes don't overly swell and to see if the remain playable.

I may rewrap the joints with polyester thread if I find the anything binding from swelling/excess moisture.

Last edited by Matt Willis Bagpiper; 03-29-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #32
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Also, while I suspected the pipes could not be made playable, I would have been just as happy if I found them to be playable.

The other Amazon cheap instrument videos (flute, sax) surprised the YouTubers on how good they really were, and since it's been 20+ years since I've dealt seriously with a middle-eastern-made bagpipe, it would have been exciting to have been proven wrong!
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #33
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiper View Post
The next video will future a new bag, new drone reeds, and a modified chanter (or even a new chanter if it can't be dremeled into tune), as well as an extended play testing to make sure the pipes don't overly swell and to see if the remain playable.
You probably were going to do this anyway, but just in case not ... I feel it would be good to list off the equipment you needed to use in order to bring the pipes into playable quality, and a final total all that comes to. Then, and only then will people be able to see how good of a "deal" these pipes are (or are not).

Kind of like travelers thinking a little deeper about using a budget airline ... once they account for booking fees, bag fees, etc ... is their purchase, in the end, still cheaper than another airline that's charging more from the start.

Liking where these vids are going that you've been putting up.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #34
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiper View Post
Also, while I suspected the pipes could not be made playable, I would have been just as happy if I found them to be playable.

The other Amazon cheap instrument videos (flute, sax) surprised the YouTubers on how good they really were, and since it's been 20+ years since I've dealt seriously with a middle-eastern-made bagpipe, it would have been exciting to have been proven wrong!
I've never seen Highland-style Middle Eastern bagpipes myself. And I live in the Middle East, and have seen many boy scout pipe bands, both Arab, and Christian. Both groups tend to import Pakistani pipes from South Asia. In reality, no Highland-style bagpipes are manufactured in the Middle East.

Anyway, it is just not a musically worthwhile endeavour to fiddle with Pakistani pipes. If a bag leaks, and a chanter was not cut true, and the drones have attached wood curls and absorb water like a dry sponge, what is there to even play around with? Of course one could get lucky! Sometimes the pipe boxes are fitted with brass, and lined with yellow or purple velour or faux silk. Not bad...

Last edited by David; 03-30-2019 at 03:55 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #35
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
You probably were going to do this anyway, but just in case not ... I feel it would be good to list off the equipment you needed to use in order to bring the pipes into playable quality, and a final total all that comes to. Then, and only then will people be able to see how good of a "deal" these pipes are (or are not).

Kind of like travelers thinking a little deeper about using a budget airline ... once they account for booking fees, bag fees, etc ... is their purchase, in the end, still cheaper than another airline that's charging more from the start.

Liking where these vids are going that you've been putting up.

Cheers,
~Nate

so as to avoid he WOW Airlines of the bagpipe world
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #36
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Even if the name-brand is definitely more expensive, it is nice to fly an airline that uses real Duct Tape and Gorilla Glue, which will hold together better at 10 or 12 thousand meters than any discount off-brands. Such is the same for Highland pipes.

The just-for-fun exercise is fine. It has been done in various forms. Harmless to be sure. However, you'd have better luck attaching a piccolo to a whoopee cushion!
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #37
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

However, you'd have better luck attaching a piccolo to a whoopee cushion!

David,Good Morning, Still, from Over Here,

Ah Ha!!

My first good laugh!!... of the day!! :)

Many, many thanks!!

Regards,

Pip01

Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #38
Rick Pratt
Forum Member

Goodness,

i searched the web for videos of top Paki pipe bands and none of them sounded even good....many not even decent...some simply terrible. Several of them were top unit bands according to the titles.

Now if this is the best they can do in the country of origin, what chance

have we of getting a good'un?

here is a link to one of the many I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0NGSx7QYM

Regards
Adios

Rick
Rick Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #39
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
David,Good Morning, Still, from Over Here,

Ah Ha!!

My first good laugh!!... of the day!!

Many, many thanks!!

Regards,

Pip01

Laughing is almost the point of life. That and great mountain top views and sharp desert air and a humming set of pipes in the distance.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #40
gisahag
Forum Regular

Matt

Watched the video. Congratulations on your fairness, sheer bloody-mindedness for trying them 'as supplied', and for managing to keep a straight face through the whole process.
I particularly liked the 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock drone stock configuration.

Neil
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote