Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #41
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pakistani Bagpipe Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Pratt View Post
Goodness,

i searched the web for videos of top Paki pipe bands and none of them sounded even good....many not even decent...some simply terrible. Several of them were top unit bands according to the titles.

Now if this is the best they can do in the country of origin, what chance

have we of getting a good'un?

here is a link to one of the many I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0NGSx7QYM

Regards
Adios

Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b408y5KxX0&t=76s

You didn't search wide enough. This is a video of a Pakistani army pipe band in competition being judged by both Scottish military instructors and Pakistani army judges. They sound a lot better than many US lower grade bands.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b408y5KxX0&t=76s

You didn't search wide enough. This is a video of a Pakistani army pipe band in competition being judged by both Scottish military instructors and Pakistani army judges. They sound a lot better than many US lower grade bands.

Cheers -

Wes
That is a good sounding clip. I wish the video was higher resolution so we could see the pipes they're playing on. I suspect, at the very least, the drones are blackwood and not sheesham and they're playing with quality chanters.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #43
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiper View Post
That is a good sounding clip. I wish the video was higher resolution so we could see the pipes they're playing on. I suspect, at the very least, the drones are blackwood and not sheesham and they're playing with quality chanters.
I have never heard a pipe band playing south Asian bagpipes ever sound like that. I have never heard even half-trained solo players of Pakistani bagpipes sound like that. I am almost certain that the Pakistani band in the link received a budget for Scottish-made pipes. Much like the Jordanian Legion military pipe band in transjordanian Palestine. Which I have heard live. Cracked and taped up, but Scottish-made. I cannot be 100% certain, but, I have heard many attempts to tune bands of Pakistani pipes. Also heard quite a few with Scottish chanters and Pakistani drones. Better, but no in-tune humming wall of drone sound.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #44
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

For those of you curious about how part 2 of the Pakistani Amazon bagpipe setup challenge went, here you go... https://youtu.be/ZVMLoKwHfH8

Spoiler alert: not well!!
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote