Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
blhs209
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Awards

I do have a question but background first:

This year starts my second full year of solo competitions (I started late in the year of 2107). In the last year and little bit, I have been fortunate to win a couple of medals.

So the question - what do you do with the medals that have been won (and hoping to win)? Shoe box? Hang in display? Looking for ideas/suggestions.

Chris Shepherd
blhs209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Awards

Whatever...but don’t try to use them at the subway......
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Andrew Lenz

Some I have in my pipe case. (Helps to impress school kids when I do presentations!) Others, since I manage a frame shop, I mounted some black fabric that works with hook Velcro onto a board and put it into a gold frame. Then I slipped pieces of Velcro onto the pins on the backs of the medals and stuck it to the board—that way I could easily rearrange the medals without messing with the pins. The plaques I just put up on the wall next to that frame. My wife tolerates it because it's behind the door to our bedroom that stays open most of the time!

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
thevoidboy
Forum Member

If you look at old pics, pipers used to wear them around.

I never understood the decidedly “Presbyterian” turn that has taken place since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Are you from the future?
What chanter frequency are yall at?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

I hang them on my coat hook at work during the competition season, then put them with their predecessors in a wooden box on my bedside table. They are all labeled with the year and event, should there ever come a time when anyone asks 'what's this?'

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Andrew Lenz

I also marked the back of all mine with an extra fine permanent pen: locale (if necessary), date, event, grade level.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhs209 View Post
This year starts my second full year of solo competitions (I started late in the year of 2107). In the last year and little bit, I have been fortunate to win a couple of medals.

So the question - what do you do with the medals that have been won (and hoping to win)? Shoe box? Hang in display? Looking for ideas/suggestions.
Hey there Chris!

First off, congrats. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I'm about as new to this as you are, and I'll confess that I've been kind of wondering the same. So I'm equally curious as to what people "do with it."

What particularly gives me trouble is that I find I don't really like showing off things. Nothing against folks who display their awards proudly or what-have-you ... more power to them, it's just not my way. I'm a firm believer in the phrase "to each their own."

I'm one full-year in, and I was fortunate enough to snag some awards. For most of the year, they all sat in a bin on my shelf, because I couldn't really figure out what to do with them. I finally gave it some more thought toward the end of the season.

What felt most practical, for me, was to pull off the ribbons from the medals, so that they can be neatly collected together. This also reduced their physical presence/appearance, which suits me.

One of the aggregate awards toward the end of the year was a quaich (small bowl with handles) .. so the medals from the season fit quite well in that, which I find convenient. Fitting as well, seeing as the quaich was from my final outing for the season. So I now have that up on a high shelf, so it's out for people to see (kinda), but inconspicuous enough to not make me feel uncomfortably boastful.

Alongside and behind it is one of the aggregate awards I've been most fond of—it's simply a decorative plate, with a nice and tasteful Celtic design on it. So it's standing up on a plate-holder behind the quaich. It doesn't have big logos, or lettering to scream about whatever award it is ... it's simply decorative, and thus memorable on it's own.

Some of the other aggregate awards are plaques, clearly and boldly denoting the award and what-have-you. So for the time being, those are behind the "plate," and thus somewhat obscured. Maybe I'll change that at some point, but for the time being, displaying those more prominently just feels like an affectation.

So now if someone is over, sees them and asks what they are, I can tell them. If they don't, then that's fine by me.

So for now, I find the above serves me well. In future, who knows. First, I've gotta keep doing well, and that's easier said than done. Back to practicing =)

Cheers and chunes,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
blhs209
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

First thank you everyone (so far) for your replies.

Andrew - I was thinking of framing the first one and the black background is something I did not think of. Would set the medal off nicely.

Matthew - no, not from the future. As far as 'chanter frequency', as I mentioned in another thread (http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...ght=2019+setup), I am at mid 460's with my solo setup.

John - I had a similar idea with small white hang tags, with the same info that Andrew mentioned in his next posting (locale (if necessary), date, event, grade level.).

Nate - thanks, yes off to a good start. Not bad for an old guy learning an instrument for the first time. We will see what the year brings (or doesn't) Oh, and most likely see you at the NH Indoor (weather permiting).

At this point, for me everything is still in the packaging/envelopes with the score sheets so I remember when/where.
blhs209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhs209 View Post

Oh, and most likely see you at the NH Indoor (weather permiting).

Great! Cheers!
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote