Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Default MG White Mamba Drone Reeds

Hi, I been trying to get a new set of these reeds going, without success. The main issue is stability. I have a manometer attached to the middle tenor, so I know my blowing is very steady but. With the outside tenor alone things are fine.
But as soon as I introduce the Bass, I can't seem to keep the drones steady. I've gently adjusted the bridal to take less air as they are quite hard to blow. Bag leak checks have been carried out & the joints are solid. Any suggestions please?
Gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-02-2019, 04:15 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: MG White Mamba Drone Reeds

Hmmm. I’ve had nothing but 120% success using mine. Rock steady tenors..sometimes mistaking that one tenor might have stopped...bass is equally robust and steady. Play...stop,,..come back in 20 minutes..still golden... indoors,outdoors,..cold to hot ...and back.

Reeds set tres efficiently and equally seated. Playing these in my poly Mccallum pipes since late last year. Vinyl tube trap with trap-dri.
A few band mates have now got them too based on my own raves....solid.

Presuming you set them, ..each,..optimally? What kind of pipes? New or vintage.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

I've found the bass very good tonally (big, buzzy) in my Naills, but I think because of this, the overtones were overpowering my Ezee tenors. I'm trying to get the right balance, likely will fiddle with the bridle a bit and tuning screw to get it tuning in the sweet spot. A work in progress...
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
SebastienLove
Forum Member

In my cocobolo Dunbars, the bass sounds great! Can be a bit difficult to strike in though.
I wasn't a huge fan of the tenors, but I was comparing them to my very well set up ezee tenors, so wasn't really giving the white mambas a fair chance!
SebastienLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
LJ Neville
Forum Silver Medal

Hi Gruffalo... You might try, if you haven't done so already:

1) making sure that the bass mid section and the bass top section are properly hemped so that you can't rock either section back and forth on its pin. If you can, this can cause instability.

2) checking the drone reed to see that it is securely in the reed seat, not wobbly or loose. Also, the reed body should not abut the reed seat (i.e., there should be a bit of a gap between the reed body and the end of the first section tenon). If these are touching this could create an additional vibration that causes unsteadiness.

3) checking the reed bridle - is it perpendicular to the tongue (i.e., not crooked anyplace around the reed body)? If crooked, this can cause unsteadiness.

4) checking under the tongue for any debris... one can clean the reed bed with a dollar bill by placing the dollar bill under the tongue, applying a wee bit of pressure with a finger, and pulling the bill through. This is a woodwind player's trick - the bill does not leave anything behind, being a mix of cloth and paper.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Available for sale here: https://www.a2amazinggrace.com

Last edited by LJ Neville; 04-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Neville View Post
Hi Gruffalo... You might try, if you haven't done so already:

1) making sure that the bass mid section and the bass top section are properly hemped so that you can't rock either section back and forth on its pin. If you can, this can cause instability.

2) checking the drone reed to see that it is securely in the reed seat, not wobbly or loose. Also, the reed body should not abut the reed seat (i.e., there should be a bit of a gap between the reed body and the end of the first section tenon). If these are touching this could create an additional vibration that causes unsteadiness.

3) checking the reed bridle - is it perpendicular to the tongue (i.e., not crooked anyplace around the reed body)? If crooked, this can cause unsteadiness.

4) checking under the tongue for any debris... one can clean the reed bed with a dollar bill by placing the dollar bill under the tongue, applying a wee bit of pressure with a finger, and pulling the bill through. This is a woodwind player's trick - the bill does not leave anything behind, being a mix of cloth and paper.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Apologies only just seen your comprehensive reply. Appreciate the advice, all of which makes very good sense. Some I had tried, but others not. Thank you

Last edited by Gruffalo; 04-17-2019 at 02:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2019, 03:54 AM   #7
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Might struggle a little finding the dollar bill....and our small paper money’s plastic now....looks like you’ll need a £20 or upwards
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
paul_111
Forum Member

If applicable, make sure your drone top is fully seated/screwed down. I had a helluva time with an unsteady bass, only to find by accident that the metal cap on my poly bass drone was loose(!). Once I tightened it, the issue went away.
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #9
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_111 View Post
If applicable, make sure your drone top is fully seated/screwed down. I had a helluva time with an unsteady bass, only to find by accident that the metal cap on my poly bass drone was loose(!). Once I tightened it, the issue went away.
Thanks for that. No issues there Thanks
Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #10
Gruffalo
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Might struggle a little finding the dollar bill....and our small paper money’s plastic now....looks like you’ll need a £20 or upwards
The Bulgarian Lev, worked fine as it turns out