Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Cross-Fingering, finally found a way to make it work

I've always enjoyed playing tunes with a, "C natural," and other accidentals, but I've never been able to get cross-fingering to work.

*not never: I live in a high-mountain desert region, I think it's either the extremely dry air, or the, "thin," high altitude air that effects the effectiveness of cross-fingering because I have been able to produce, "true," accidentals by cross-fingering when visiting the coast.

In any case, should it be of use to anyone here, or should someone have an idea as to the reason, (I am curious,) I share this:

I bought a Surefire synthetic pipe chanter reed. It was tedious to tune, initially, but I was testing it for a student so I persevered. Once it was in-tune, it held its tuning well. But the unexpected thing: I can get a true C-natural and F-natural by cross-fingering! Where I previously had to tape-down those notes and play tunes with those notes flattened permanently, I can now use standard cross-fingering to get an accidental here or there as I please!

I'm elated, and so I share.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Cross-Fingering, finally found a way to make it work

Iím happy you found your answer, sad to hear itís in a synthetic reed tho lol Iím not a huge fan of them- too shrill to my ear.

What do you use for a chanter cap? Do you use a hygrometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you have a chanter you're not afraid to butcher, one suggestion would be to move the C and F holes up slightly and make them smaller.

Crossfingering works because the air in the holes is almost too heavy for the soundwave to move it, so the effective termination of the soundwave moves down the chanter. If the hole is too large, the note won't crossfinger at all, so if you make the hole smaller it should start to come in. Except now it's flat, so you must move it up the chanter...
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

It helps to play an easy reed, too. The reeds that many of us play for competitive purposes are often too hard to produce consistent and in-tune natural notes.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for the explanation Calum! Tinkering to do now MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

With older chanters, and my modern McCallum Bb chanter (especially with moulded reeds) Cnat is very reliable.

With high-pitch modern band chanters and strong ridge-cut reeds the acoustics of the chanter+reed can overpower crossfingerings.

You see it also with the note E: with some modern high-pitch wide-bore chanters using strong ridge-cut reeds you can finger E any way you want and the pitch doesn't change appreciably, while with an older lower-pitch chanter with moulded reed E can drop a quartertone if you change your fingering in any way.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
You see it also with the note E: with some modern high-pitch wide-bore chanters using strong ridge-cut reeds you can finger E any way you want and the pitch doesn't change appreciably, while with an older lower-pitch chanter with moulded reed E can drop a quartertone if you change your fingering in any way.

Yes, my Border chanter will happily play a D sharp if I lift the C finger; not all that useful, but I've deployed it a few times!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Yes, my Border chanter will happily play a D sharp if I lift the C finger; not all that useful, but I've deployed it a few times!
For sure, the three "Border" chanters I've owned were far more susceptible to fingering variation than even older GHB chanters.

That instability is a good thing in that it gives you a chromatic scale.

My chanters were chromatic all the way up from Low A, giving an in-tune Bb, C natural, D#, F natural, and high G#.

As I've mentioned on other threads, D# is very, very useful! Not for GHB-specific tunes, but outside the GHB repertoire a sharp 4th (D# on an A chanter) is very common in songs and tunes.

As I've mentioned three of the five US military service tunes, the US anthem, and a vast number of Hymn tunes, many Irish songs, etc etc require D# (when played in the key of A).