Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

Default Small Bluetooth transmitter?

I know there was an earlier thread on this, but no satisfactory resolution, so I apologize for asking something that's been asked before. Has anybody used a small Bluetooth transmitter with their electronic pipes successfully and, if so, what model did you use? I've been thinking about attaching one to my TechnoPipes since I have a favorite pair of Bluetooth earbuds that I'd like to use with it, but the only ones I can find online have a cord attached. I was hoping to find one that has the audio plug as part of the body so there aren't any dangly bits!

Cheers,
Kevin
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Small Bluetooth transmitter?

In short, "no."

I've heard/read that it's not the greatest for our needs. Blair has a good article on this here: https://blairbagpipes.com/bluetooth/

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 05-08-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary block quote of entire first post.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Steve Law
Forum Regular

I tried it once, using a small bluetooth transmitter linked to a bluetooth speaker (rather than earbuds) but there was too much of a lag between what my fingers were playing and what came out of the speaker so I gave it up as a bad job.

A shame, but as Scotty might say, ‘Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim!”

If anyone does find a solution I’d love to hear about it
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

You can find small inexpensive blue tooth transmitters on eBay and Amazon.
As already mentioned the lag between fingers and earpiece is terrible.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have had the same experience. The lag time makes it almost impossible to play. If it was either longer or shorter it might have been manageable. I can only assume that the Bluetooth protocols include some data compression. If you could find a device that allowed you to control that, you might be able to reduce the lag time but I haven't seen one yet.

If you are serious about wireless capability, you would probably do better with a wireless mic setup from a musical instrument shop.

I hope this helps,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Someone else mentioned it but you really need a professional UHF transmitter/receiver. These have the bandwidth and no lag.

With bluetooth there's around a 300milisecond delay and creates a lot of lag that makes it impossible (I find anyway). You can find UHF transmitters that aren't stage gear/pro audio (read: $$$) and are more suited to occasional use. I'm heading that direction I think.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

Thanks, guys! Having only used Bluetooth to listen to music from my phone, I had no idea that there was a lag! Guess I should stick with my regular earbuds, wires and all! ;-)