Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default Just how low can you go?

Hi all,

Having a preference for lower pitched chanters myself and having been reading the thread on the replica MacDonald pipes I am just wondering what real world limit (finger spread, hole size, chanter length, drone range) is there likely to be on bagpipe chanters. Basically how low a frequency can you get Low A down to without the instrument becoming unplayable?
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Just how low can you go?

Interesting thought: by using a keyed system, to essentially extend your fingers' spread, probably could get pretty darn long... Look at a contrabass clarinet, saxophone, etc for example...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

It really depends what you consider to be a limit. You could build a pipe chanter that played in D quite easily, I think, and it would be playable, but you obviously couldn't tune drones to it, and it would need a reed of its own. And you could keep going, and start to solve new problems, with keys, folded drones, etc...

Reeded wind instruments in general can get down to very low notes, lower than a piano.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Dont forget that SSP, with their straight bore, play a whole octave lower than GHB or BP. I am guessing this is not what you had in mind but shows that it is possible to design much slower pitched chanters.

Best regards,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

From my own chanters, a very early Hardie was stable at A448, but the synthetic drone reeds had to be opened up too much to be easily playable, even with extenders. I think the bass drone would require 12 cm cane to get that low and remain stable and air efficient.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Well what I actually meant was that, given the typical maximum length of drones currently made and the use of the longest possible drone reeds, how low could you go without the holes becoming too large, too far apart, or there being a requirement for keys which would change the essential way the instrument plays. Hard to do a birl with a keyed bottom note

I have no knowledge of all the ins and outs that determine how a chanter is designed in regard of bore, length, hole spacing, size etc. etc.

I was contemplating the viability of having a chanter made that could be as low as you can go when plugged into a conventional Highland bagpipe or even whether anyone has already produced such a chanter.

Currently the lowest I have is a rather tasty new poly Bflat chanter from Hardies that sounds really sweet with a standard chanter reed but I still feel there is some dark low frequency depths to be plummed.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've gotten my drones all the way down to a reference pitch of 413 Hz. However, I'm tuning them against low G, not low A (which was at 464 Hz). With a C natural instead of a C#, this allowed me to play in G major which is useful for playing Northumbrian and Irish tunes, and I'm sure a whole host of other genres.

Sound samples can be found in the posts below.

Scottish tunes:
https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?p=4008

Mostly Irish tunes:
https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?p=3780

A Northumbrian tune or two:
https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?p=3253
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Jeff Cullen
Forum Clasp

The lowest note on my Brian Boru chanter is Fnat.
Jeff Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote