Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
GlenRJ
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Hardie Infinity chanters

I would like to read the thoughts of the pipers in regard to the smaller diameter
holes on the new Hardie Infinity pipe chanters.
Cheers, Glen
GlenRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Hardie Infinity chanters

Jori Chisholm has posted some good information on the chanters on his Facebook site and Bagpipelessons.com

I'll be ordering one from a Canadian supplier when they come in.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I met one the other day. It was poly not ABW. Lower tone holes were a little smaller than my Shepherd. Low A seemed a little lower in comparison too. I didnít get to actually play it or hear it.

To me, it didnít seem worth Joriís hype although others may disagree. I am glad I got to see it in person because his post nearly made me want to fork out the cash sight unseen.

If I were in the market for a new chanter, it would certainly be on my list of those to demo.

If any retailers read this. Itíd be wonderful for you to offer demo/trial poly chanters. That what, pipers could try out different ones before making a purchasing commitment.

Charlie
Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post

...his post nearly made me want to fork out the cash sight unseen.

Charlie
Yes... me too; the blurb I think indicated The makers Ďsent it to him to try outí...I asked him to send it to me also ....haven't t heard back yet?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Charlie, what do you mean by the low A was a little lower? Do you mean in addition to the holes being a little smaller than your Shepherd, the low A hole seemed to be farther down the chanter?

On another note, I think it’s funny: some of these pipe makers suddenly advertising “comfortable” chanters. I couldn’t have imagined it a few years ago. I guess some things needed to be forgotten by the crowds first.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

I often wonder if some of these folks who get stuff sent to them would actually post a negative review...if so, I'd like to see one.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Charlie, what do you mean by the low A was a little lower? Do you mean in addition to the holes being a little smaller than your Shepherd, the low A hole seemed to be farther down the chanter?

It seemed that there was a little more spread between B and low A. Not much, but enough to feel it compared with the Shepherd.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I also got that email.
I asked specifically about hole size in mm, and he sent me back the measurements (this may already be up on facebook which I do not have):

HighA - 5.01
HighG - 4.99
F - 5.58
E - 6.9
D - 6.81
C - 8.05
B - 7.99
LowA - 8.7
LowG - 11.07

I checked my own Dunbar Elite chanter, and most of the holes are actually smaller than the Infinity:

HighA - 4.6
HighG - 4.7
F - 5.8
E - 6.1
D - 6.1
C - 7.7
B - 7.8
LowA - 8.5
LowG - 9.2

Smaller holes is definitely a plus for children, I can say that.

Quote:
...his post nearly made me want to fork out the cash sight unseen.

It is not just him, I get emails from "another" online instructor that make it sound like "ALL SECRETS REVEALED FOR $7!!"

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hole size is important in that huge holes are harder to cover. But, and donít tell Murray, I carved the crap out of one of my Kyos, though the holes arenít onerously large (my fingers still fit on and not in the holes).

The big thing for me is where those holes are so that I know whether my fingers can find them!

Iíd love to see a pic comparing the Infinity to a more common chanter so as to get a feel for the hole distribution.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
GlenRJ
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks for those interesting replies.
There was a mention that the hole spacing was a bit more condensed. I would like to compare them to my McCallums
I have 2 wonky lower hand fingers- low A & B.
I am always in dread of those notes when playing.
Cheers, Glen
GlenRJ is offline   Reply With Quote