Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reeding a 440 Maclellen chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

Thanks all for chiming in .. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
~Nate
You’ve no doubt read all the other posts...I’m curious ...if you tried a standard Shepherd reed...ca 30” . ( which will soften to about 28” after several tunes) .

Look forward to your results with the G1. A top performer.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
You’ve no doubt read all the other posts...I’m curious ...if you tried a standard Shepherd reed...ca 30” . ( which will soften to about 28” after several tunes) .

Look forward to your results with the G1. A top performer.
Funny enough, a Shepherd is among the first I'd tried, but I couldn't get the E to stop burbling.

The next I'd reached for was the G1 standard reed I'd mentioned earlier (at least that's what I THINK it was, but it could also have been a MacPhee or Mur-reed). After that, I got a look at the time, and decided to table the pursuit, as I had my "real practice" to do ... more competitions are sneaking up soon, so I need to exercise some restraint with these little "projects" if I expect to do well.

30" is a little strong for my preference, but I can blow that if I have to. In general I'll shave and sand the reed till I can blow it with comfort and control ... whenever I've tested the resultant reed strength with a gauge, the reading is usually around or at a little below 25".

I do have other Shepherds kicking about ... maybe another one will happen to go better ... I'll try here and there as I wait for the G1s and Chris Apps' reeds to arrive. Will definitely let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:

30" is a little strong for my preference, but I can blow that if I have to. In general I'll shave and sand the reed till I can blow it with comfort and control ... whenever I've tested the resultant reed strength with a gauge, the reading is usually around or at a little below 25".

Cheers,
~Nate
Your honesty is refreshing, thanks Nate.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=Pppiper;1337799]

Funny enough, a Shepherd is among the first I'd tried, but I couldn't get the E to stop burbling.

30" is a little strong for my preference, but I can blow that if I have to.

(....initial strength will drop 2 bars after about 10 min. Lightly pinching the Shepherd stand reed lips together to close the mouth a wee bit will also help...then use the smallest diameter ( about 1/8”...not 3/16”) dental rubberband doubled and rolled up ( from the staple end) to the middle of the blades..to keep it ‘lightened’)

... the reading is usually around or at a little below 25".

( too light ..causing E burble?....if you can play initial 30...you cud do 27-28” no?

I believe it’s “hard” to play an Easy reed....takes blowing discipline and control.

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-30-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwiron View Post
Your honesty is refreshing, thanks Nate.
=) HUGE believer in a comfortable, easy-to-play bagpipe.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
too light ..causing E burble?....if you can play initial 30...you cud do 27-28” no?

I believe it’s “hard” to play an Easy reed....takes blowing discipline and control.
Hard to play an easy reed (i.e., it's a difficult thing to play an easy reed well) ... this is fair, though, not wanting to toot my own horn ... I'm a pretty darned steady blower/player. I can listen for tone and adjust accordingly. I was always pretty good at that, but I've gotten even better since I started competing last year.

Ha, playing around an hour or so, just about everyday ... seems to make a difference somehow?? ((( sarcasm on ))) ... pfft .. no, MUST be a coincidence. =P ((( sarcasm off )))

But yeah ... everyone's different, but I've come to find that with a nice and easy pipe, it becomes much easier to learn the control that's needed to blow it steady, and with a nice sounding tone.

As to the reed being too light, causing it to burble? If that's the case, then that reed (in my book), is disqualified as a contender.

Cheers & chunes,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 05-30-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
dental rubberband doubled and rolled up ( from the staple end) to the middle of the blades..to keep it ‘lightened’
Oh, forgot to say that I haven't tried a rubber band in a while ... something to try again. Thanks!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 05-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Oh, forgot to say that I haven't tried a rubber band in a while ... something to try again. Thanks!

Cheers,
~Nate
Finding those smallest ones is tough.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:22 AM   #19
gatormac
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Seems to me it's very much a luck-of-the-draw sort of thing. From what I've seen, reeds that worked in my A-440 chanter would work fine in my modern-pitch chanters, but not necessarily the other way round.

Cheers,
~Nate
Yeah, well going from typical modern pitch chanter (Bb+) of the same make to a concert Bb (A=466) chanter of the same make (Shepherd chanters) is not much of a stretch, but going to a concert A chanter (A=440) of another maker is a lot trickier. I was just surprised when someone mentioned that Shepherd made a different reed for their concert Bb chanter than for their regular Bb+ chanters. Their regular reeds work fine in the concert Bb chanters, and the difference doesn't seem significant enough to me to warrant making separate reeds for it.

I have found Shepherd chanters and reeds to be so consistent that I haven't purchased a new chanter reed in years (and I play with a very dry system).

Last edited by gatormac; 05-31-2019 at 02:33 AM.
gatormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormac View Post
Yeah, well going from typical modern pitch chanter (Bb+) of the same make to a concert Bb (A=466) chanter of the same make (Shepherd chanters) is not much of a stretch, but going to a concert A chanter (A=440) of another maker is a lot trickier. I was just surprised when someone mentioned that Shepherd made a different reed for their concert Bb chanter than for their regular Bb+ chanters. Their regular reeds work fine in the concert Bb chanters, and the difference doesn't seem significant enough to me to warrant making separate reeds for it.

I have found Shepherd chanters and reeds to be so consistent that I haven't purchased a new chanter reed in years (and I play with a very dry system).
Yeah ... A-440 is kind of asking a lot. Interested to see how some of these new reeds go when they arrive. I'm also tempted to experiment with adding a cooper bridle, which is what border pipers do. And/or using a rush in the chanter for the sharp notes ... I find it fascinating that uilleann and border pipers use those things all the time with their conical chanters/reeds, yet highland pipers do not .. shrug.

And bravo on your everlasting Shepherd reed ... really nice to find that one reed that's happy to keep on going and going. I know a couple players who have had the same reed in for 2-3 years at least. I seem to get a good year or so from mine before I start thinking about changing them out.

Cheers all,
~Nate