Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #31
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reeding a 440 Maclellen chanter

Korg CA tuner: If 440 = same LA /HA green lights at 466. ( taping as needed of course)

And likewise 454 = 480 ( as with eg my Ceol chanter)

....if then set at 455....what pitch does one achieve ?

Last edited by el gaitero; 06-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Korg CA tuner: If 440 = same LA /HA green lights at 466. ( taping as needed of course)

And likewise 454 = 480 ( as with eg my Ceol chanter)

....if then set at 455....what pitch does one achieve ?
I'd figure it to be 481.9, or 482 for all practical purposes.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #33
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I'd figure it to be 481.9, or 482 for all practical purposes.
Yes;...I ( perhaps over simply) add 26. The diff between 440 and 466.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #34
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

And I'm WAY too lazy to do addition on the spot, so I simply procured a tuner that calibrates as high as 499 (God help us if the pitch ever gets that high).

=)
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:23 AM   #35
gatormac
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
And bravo on your everlasting Shepherd reed ... really nice to find that one reed that's happy to keep on going and going. I know a couple players who have had the same reed in for 2-3 years at least. I seem to get a good year or so from mine before I start thinking about changing them out.
In fairness it isn't just one reed- I have more than one set of pipes, and I rotate them, and they are all on a dry ROSS MCS. Their reeds are outstanding, but I find the key to longevity is not touching the reed once I achieve the perfect strength for me, and playing a dry setup.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 AM   #36
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormac View Post
In fairness it isn't just one reed- I have more than one set of pipes, and I rotate them, and they are all on a dry ROSS MCS. Their reeds are outstanding, but I find the key to longevity is not touching the reed once I achieve the perfect strength for me, and playing a dry setup.

Right on. I was trying the same thing last year when I was using a Lee premium sheepskin bag, and a Trap-dri cansister on the end of the blowpipe tube. I was trying to get longevity out of both reed and bag ... and was thinking that a dry setup for both bag and reeds could be a way to do that.

Unfortunately the bag failed on me after it got rained on at a competition (rubber grommets separated from the bag material). I needed a replacement bag in a rush, so I swapped in a Bannatyne Mccallum hybrid.

Ive since (this past January) decided to try a standard sheep bag .. decidedly the opposite type of system in terms of dryness. However, I have to say, my chanter reed seems to never be wet, and I usually practice for at least an hour straight. Drones, I do tend to start getting some moisture in the drone tops after about an hour.

Anyway, the fellow who got me to try the sheepskin has been doing the same, and he said his reedís been in for 5 years now.

(((shrug)))

Different strokes, different folks ... am
I right?

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 AM   #37
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Yes;...I ( perhaps over simply) add 26. The diff between 440 and 466.
I took the ratio of 466/440 and 480/455 and multiplied ( rounded off).
that seemed easier that using the whole 12th root of 2 formula
Old 06-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #38
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I took the ratio of 466/440 and 480/455 and multiplied ( rounded off).
that seemed easier that using the whole 12th root of 2 formula
Understood....seems tho the Korg like to read a solid green light at 475 (449) ..while HA is just shading a tich of red as Iíd druther. Dead center of my McCallum mk2 chanter 474-476 design pitch.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #39
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

There have been some developments since I last posted here.

In testing "480" drone reed prototypes for Terry Ackland, I suggested he make some 440 drone reeds. After a bit of tweaking, I think they're good to go.

So I reeded up my EJ Jones A 440 chanter - a new Gilmour produced a sharp scale except high A which was bang on. So I used a rush all the way up through high G and it worked perfectly and the chanter has not gone wonky. So, I've had success using rushes since I last posted to this thread which said otherwise. The rush allows the chanter to sound more full than having tape on every hole.

In realizing that EJ Jones 440 chanters aren't readily available I grabbed a MacLellan and McCallum to test. The MacLellan is closer to 440 than the McCallum. So far, I'm having to rush and tape the McCallum; the high A is flatter than the rest of the scale, like my EJ Jones chanter with a Gilmour reed.

The MacLellan has a noticeably flatter high G, so much so you may need to push the reed in "too" far to get the high G up. But, anyway, I have found Gilmour, G1 platinum, and G1 A440 reeds to go well enough in the MacLellan.

The only real problem I'm having with the MacLellan is being unable to play G gracenotes on low G without squealing; the McCallum doesn't seem to have this problem. However, I had this same problem with the Pipers' Choice A440 border pipe chanter a while back: it tunes well enough, but squeals with G gracenotes on low G. I can't help but notice how tiny the tone holes are on the MacLellan A440...I hypothesize opening them up might stabilize the low G a bit more, but I don't have the guts to make them bigger right now to test my hypothesis. I also note the low A actually falls a little flat of 440 and I reckon enlarging the tone holes could make low A even flatter (making tone holes smaller generally makes low A sharper so I figure the reverse is also true).

So, I've solved the drone reed problem but need to spend more time reeding the chanter.

Nate, what have you managed so far?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #40
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

y'all be crazy. It's challenging enough trying to get Bb chanters and drone reeds to play nice.