Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
d4g77
Forum Regular

Default Re: How do kids do it????

I think kids do it by having their pipes set up by someone who knows what they're doing.

Obviously the pipes are very demanding on the volume of air your put into them, and the pressure in which you use in your arm inbetween breaths. I play brass, sax and clarinet, and could not believe the amount of air I had to use the first time I blew the pipes, but, you do adapt, and it becomes natural. The pipes are demanding on the air pressure, the pressure exeterted by you arm, and also your diaphragm, shoulder and back muscles.

That being said, once you have mastered the blowing and squeezing, you shouldn't have any discomfort. If the pipes are taking too much air. Look for leaks in your back, and then check your drone reeds for air effiecency (If you blow as hard as you can blow, they should shut off).

Failing that, look for any gaps in the hemp etc. And failing that, look at your technique - are you blowing and sqeezing properly?

Also, in addition to fifefighter's comments. The college of piping books are also great, and now have CD ROMS with MPEG clips.
d4g77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 AM   #12
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

"I think kids do it by having their pipes set up by someone who knows what they're doing."

lol, you can say that again, ace!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Nick W
Forum Regular

Barry, I see you are in Pittsburgh, there has to be a band nearby that will take you under their wing and show you the ropes. You will learn 100 times faster with experienced Pipers giving you hands on instruction then you will ever learn via the computer. I say this in all sincerity. BTW, if you haven’t already done so add Jim McGillivray’s Rhythmic Finger work to your collection.

Cheers,
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #14
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

thanks Nick. I ordered Jim McGillvray's Rythmic Fingerwork just today.
As for finding an instructor or band, not much luck. I contacted the Tone Czar, he gave me the names of 2 local instuctors; one didn't respond to multiple emails; the other did respond to email, but then didn't respond to multiple phonecalls. Then a guy, who lives 2 miles from me, pm'd me to get together to have a look at his pipes, help me in setting mine up, blah blah blah, but that never materialized either. So, I think I'll continue to self-teach myself. The Cairns books are a big help, as is the advice on here, and the websites of Andrew Lenz and Oliver Seeler. A forum member, the Scranton Piper (Bill White) has graciously and patiently answered any questions I've posed to him. What would REALLY help would be videos that showed the mechanics of some of the more intricate embellishments. As an engineer, and a long-time piano player, I really enjoy dinking around with this instrument. Jim McGillvray's Pipes Ready and Pipes Up vids have been immensely helpful, and also the Pitchpipe Tuner software.
Given the availability of such good resources, I think that the necessity of a conventional instructor, while not eliminated, is greatly reduced.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Andrew Jessop
Forum Member

There's no way a DVD can even come close to an experienced piper taking your pipes and setting them up for you. They may be a help but no more than a good mountaineering book prepares you for the physical demands of actually climbing a mountain.
Andrew Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

Well, mine are set up, drones tuning at the hemp lines, and I'm playing them with all the drones going. I had to tape my B, C, F, & high A holes on the chanter.