Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Yellow kilts and plaids

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but I thought it might fit in here.....just saw "The Pipes and Drums of the Emerald Police Society of Westchester County(NY),I hope I got the name right,and they wear yellow(gold?) kilts and plaids and I was wondering if that color has a special meaning? I hadn`t seen it before and was impressed by the look.....any info would be appreciated,Thom
Old 03-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Yellow kilts and plaids

Thom,
It is not really yellow. They wear a version of the Irish saffron kilt. The lighter color was seen more often years ago. The modern saffron kilt is more of a rusty dark color, and has been in use for more than 100 years. The Irish Regiments of the British army made these kilts very popular in the late 1800's.
The shade used by the band you saw is no longer common. Almost everyone uses the darker saffron.
The early verson of the modern saffron kilt was this more yellow color as the dye from the saffron plant is more of a yellow orange. The modern verson is almost a burnt orange color.
Same kilt just different shade.
Dave.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Dave, thanks for the info...saffron was what I first thought of but the "yellow" looked so different that it got me wondering if it might be something completely different. I have a "current" saffron kilt and they just didn`t look the same...again thanks for the info...slainte,Thom
Old 04-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #4
Ernie Halley
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Can you imagine what that yellow kilt will look like after a pint of Guinness is spilled on it?
Ernie Halley is offline   Reply With Quote