Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Piper of Rose
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Band Managers Unite!

Well I just fired off an email to the band mates. I basically fussed about people not using signup sheets. 2 questions.

1) How much of a problem do other managers have with this?

2) How scathing an email do you have to send until someone else takes the job? :humm:
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Band Managers Unite!

I'm not the band manager, but I feel your pain. We use the Evite system. We sent out a survey a couple of months ago and one of the questions was "do you know we use Evite, do you understand this is the official signup list". It was pretty much a unanimous 'Yes', yet we still can barely get half the band fill the things out. Then again, I think barely half the band returned the survey.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Buzz (not that one)
Forum Silver Medal

I'm not a band manager, but I'm sure signup sheets are a problem everywhere. We've tried not using them, using them. Some people who sign up don't show up. Some who don't sign up do show up. Some people don't seem to care that organization is important and disregard the sheets altogether. It's frustrating. If the band manager books a gig and states that the band will be 24 members strong, and 12 show, it makes the band look bad.

Those of you who fall into the don't care category:

If you aren't going to put some effort into the band, then you shouldn't be a part of the band!

People get called into work, family emergencies, etc. but such things on a regular basis should be punished.

I think I'll quit before I really start venting
Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
SerialKilter.
Holy smoking keyboard!

We have a response system within our website for members only access. We have the forum, calendar, roster with peronsal info, etc. We also have a response page. When a gig comes up, an email is sent to the band requesting responses. Band members then login to the site and add there response as a decline or accept. Members that accept, are expected to be at the gig. Memebers that decline, or fired from the band and then put up against a firing wall where they are then shot.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Let me get this straight, Piper of Rose. You're trying to get band mates to respond to anything, including sign up sheets?

BWWWAAAAHAAAHAAAA
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Piper of Rose
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by EquusRacer:
Let me get this straight, Piper of Rose. You're trying to get band mates to respond to anything, including sign up sheets?

BWWWAAAAHAAAHAAAA
Yes Exactly. Although I do like Danny's response. Firing Squad HMMMMMM :humm:
Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Jan
Holy smoking keyboard!

We have the same type system as Danny.....except for the firing squad.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

I may get in trouble for this as some other members read the forum, but...

I tried to make our St Pat's gigs mandatory. Was only asking for 2 of the 3 day festivities and you would have thought I was asking for their first born. "This is a volunteer organization, you can't make anything mandatory!!!" Yeah, well so is the US military. I can't imagine getting away with "Sorry LT, I can't go on the mission, I have a family reunion to go to".

Ok, maybe that is a little extreme of an example, but still, just because an organization is voluntary to join doesn't mean that event attendance is voluntary. Why join the organization if your not planning on attending all events. We have one guy that isn't interested in competing and yet isn't interested in the St Pat's festivities. Why else would you be in a pipe band??? The parades?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
SerialKilter.
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I may get in trouble for this as some other members read the forum, but
Not with me you won't. You are 100% correct. There are two types of members in a pipe band. Loyal Members and NON loyal members.

We have some members that attend everything, some that attend what they can and some who attend nothing. Whats the point of being in a band if you don't go to anything.

ST Pats day is once a year and people need to make the effort to attending their gigs with their band, voluntary or not. Make your arrangements ahead of time. There are only two acceptable excuses in my book for anyone to ever have to miss a ST Pats Day with their band.

1. Business Travel and/or work
2. Death in the family

Any other excuse is unnaceptable.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

I agree, (obviously) it's not like you don't know the date a year in advance. Tell the wife (or whatever significant other) that you won't be home until 11:00, and take the next day off work. It's only one day, and a weekend.

I do understand there is a difference between players who started when they were kids and their significant other knew when they met them that pipeband was part of their life, and those that started after marriage, but one: it doesn't give an excuse for not answering event responses, and two: if you're going to join an organization have some dedication to it. A lot of other people are counting on you.