Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

Default 'Non-playing' competitive factors

I'm curious about how tone, and visual presentation is used as a factor in judging competitions. What kind of comments have you gotten about tone on your score sheets? My Naill's were stolen, and it will be a while before I'll be able to afford something equal so I'm wondering how you think things would turn out if I did some grade 1 competitions with a poly set... If I was in tune, stable, and cleaner playing than my competitors would I have a chance? With all of that being equal then of course the better instrument would produce a better sound, which would be deserving of the win. I'm just curious how much the instrument matters at different levels of competition... On the same token, have you gotten any comments about 'visual presentation'? I haven't seen anyone competing at higher levels with a wrinkled kilt or missing buttons, and I'm wondering if that's because everyone is totally on top of their game, or if they're aware of a tangible competitive advantage to looking the part. My kilt's a bit ill-fitting and I'd hate to have something trivial like that affect my results... Thank you for your thoughts!
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: 'non-playing' competitive factors

If competing at grade 1 level you already know there is no scoresheet category for ' presentation'. But dressing sharp won't hurt either.

If at grade 1 you can arguably make a poly set sing almost as well if not same or better as an abw set of Naill's or others,...factors notwithstanding of venue ambient temperature humidity noise judges' ear or bowels reeds..All on the given day....So your strongest card will want to be your playing.

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Lewis View Post
I haven't seen anyone competing at higher levels with a wrinkled kilt or missing buttons, and I'm wondering if that's because everyone is totally on top of their game, or if they're aware of a tangible competitive advantage to looking the part.
Probably a little bit of both. If you see someone who looks like s/he came to win, then no matter how hard you try to discount it, it might color your judgement.

And if you have everything looking sharp, then it might give you a mental edge too.

And most musicians who get really good are somewhat OCD. It's really hard to become a good musician if you don't focus on the details, right? Some of that probably spills over into other areas (to some degree), like how they dress.

I've had great discussions with a friend who majored in dance on these sorts of issues.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Regarding the non-musical effects on how your performance is perceived, Dr. Angus MacDonald told us at The Piobaireachd Conference last weekend about this study: Chia-Jung Tsay, "Sight over sound in the judgement of music performance", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/36/1...df?with-ds=yes
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
Chia-Jung Tsay, "Sight over sound in the judgement of music performance", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Very interesting article, thanks.

Always try to look good. Although I recently saw a drummer compete wearing a baseball cap. I was aghast that the judge didn't waive the kid off, but I guess times have changed.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklidge View Post
Very interesting article, thanks.

Always try to look good. Although I recently saw a drummer compete wearing a baseball cap. I was aghast that the judge didn't waive the kid off, but I guess times have changed.
Some of the games around here require "highland dress including headgear"
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Some of the games around here require "highland dress including headgear"
...was it a Highland or Lowland ball club?? Even MoD issues 'baseball' headgear.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Knox View Post
Regarding the non-musical effects on how your performance is perceived, Dr. Angus MacDonald told us at The Piobaireachd Conference last weekend about this study: Chia-Jung Tsay, "Sight over sound in the judgement of music performance", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I'm half inclined to use a fog machine...
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote