Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Tips for maintaining concentration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
Throwing pebbles? I can almost see you bringing that into your training regime, Roddy
I had considered it but decided on half house bricks instead.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
Imbusypiping
Forum Member

Getting some good feedback here. Much appreciated.
Imbusypiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #13
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

That can happen to the most experienced pipers. Many of us have seen top level pipers launching into the wrong tunes, or breaking down at the very start of their performances because their concentration wandered for just a split second. I remember on one such occasions, I heard the judge ask "What happened?" and the piper said "I was just thinking how nice the breeze was."

Usually when I am playing with other people, the very thought that they are all counting on me not to mess up is enough for me to give it my best concentration. While playing solo, sometimes I find myself creating mental scenarios to keep my mind focused - I am playing the strathspey and reel for some highland dancers, for example, who are dependent on me to carry through with the tune or their own performances would be ruined, or I am at the ceilidh, and people are bobbing happily around to my music, or the whole regiment is counter marching with me, alone in the lead, or I am piper MacKay outside the square, or Millin at the beach - even more people are counting on me not to mess up.

And we are not playing just any instrument, a lot of people all around can hear us very loudly. How many times have I heard people in noisy pubs hollering full throated in delighted expectation the moment they hear the drones. The moment you strike up, you've created an occasion. You've committed to a performance that requires your full attention.

Still, the best way to focus, for me, is simply to be absorbed in expressing the music, to enjoy the melody against the drones, and to really bring the music out of those notes with my fingers. When I am in the middle of all that, swept along by the emotions of it, even if it is Scots Wha Hae, there is no chance my mind can wander off to other things. The best way to focus is to be absorbed by the music, by the making of that music.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #14
Rafe
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Rafe Send a message via Yahoo to Rafe

When playing with the band it helps me to focus on the pipe major's fingers at all times.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #15
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
When playing with the band it helps me to focus on the pipe major's fingers at all times.
I'm glad to hear that, Rafe. I cannot tell you how many times I have to ask a piper if he or she is somehow seeing the music written on the floor!!!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #16
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquintingPatrick View Post
That can happen to the most experienced pipers. Many of us have seen top level pipers launching into the wrong tunes, or breaking down at the very start of their performances because their concentration wandered for just a split second. I remember on one such occasions, I heard the judge ask "What happened?" and the piper said "I was just thinking how nice the breeze was."

Usually when I am playing with other people, the very thought that they are all counting on me not to mess up is enough for me to give it my best concentration. While playing solo, sometimes I find myself creating mental scenarios to keep my mind focused - I am playing the strathspey and reel for some highland dancers, for example, who are dependent on me to carry through with the tune or their own performances would be ruined, or I am at the ceilidh, and people are bobbing happily around to my music, or the whole regiment is counter marching with me, alone in the lead, or I am piper MacKay outside the square, or Millin at the beach - even more people are counting on me not to mess up.

And we are not playing just any instrument, a lot of people all around can hear us very loudly. How many times have I heard people in noisy pubs hollering full throated in delighted expectation the moment they hear the drones. The moment you strike up, you've created an occasion. You've committed to a performance that requires your full attention.

Still, the best way to focus, for me, is simply to be absorbed in expressing the music, to enjoy the melody against the drones, and to really bring the music out of those notes with my fingers. When I am in the middle of all that, swept along by the emotions of it, even if it is Scots Wha Hae, there is no chance my mind can wander off to other things. The best way to focus is to be absorbed by the music, by the making of that music.
Patrick:

Similar thing happened to me during a competition. I was concentrating on the tune, then the voice in my head said "I wonder what kind of apples are on those trees behind the judge" and then it was all over. Crystal clean focus and an ability to quiet one's mind and stay in the moment and the music are critical, in my opinion. Being well prepared, no distractions from your instrument (another state of preparedness) and calming are all solid techniques and skills. My two cents.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blunt View Post
"I wonder what kind of apples are on those trees behind the judge"
Well, don't keep us in suspense! What were they?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #18
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

I know of at least two premier grade pipers who remove their spectacles when playing. Both say this means that they cannot clearly see, or more importantly be distracted by, objects or events happening which are outside of their immediate focus zone.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I'm glad to hear that, Rafe. I cannot tell you how many times I have to ask a piper if he or she is somehow seeing the music written on the floor!!!
I find the fingers distracting in general.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
I know of at least two premier grade pipers who remove their spectacles when playing. Both say this means that they cannot clearly see, or more importantly be distracted by, objects or events happening which are outside of their immediate focus zone.

...and one Amateur
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote