Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Vintage Lawrie Sporran, Patent No 174788, Manufacturer

That is a nice sporran, and the marking interesting, though the fur may be baby seal and perhaps less desirable to some. Those silver cantles are top notch and much nicer than the nickel versions we see today; you just have to polish them regularly.

There appear many variants of these sporrans out there. One may consider that they originated from the same shop, i.e., the one William Elder's patent was used in, but I don't think so. The patent refers to the articulating sporran back and internal coin purse closed with a cord, among other features, and many of the common sporrans out there don't have this feature. It's probably more like these manufacturers were ,using the same cantle and tassel-caps manufacturers. Take this Ka Scotland marked sporran I occasionally wear, which has elements found in some of the other examples, but does not have an articulating sporran back. I found one other example of a Ka sporran online, a military style version:

Last edited by HighlandPark; 11-17-2018 at 02:25 PM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes exactly, a number of Scottish makers in the second half of the 20th century were using the same hardware and making the same models of sporrans and using the same trifold photo brochure. All of these makers perforce used the same curious code designations for the various models.

Here's the Evening Dress page from the photo brochure. You can see the pierced-cantle one is called EW3.

For some reason it was the pierced EW3 cantle which was chosen to be incongruously stuck on top of the traditional all-leather Hunting Sporran to create our familiar modern band sporran, neither fish nor fowl.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Great sleuthing and image! That pierced cantle is definitely my favourite and why I often wear the sporran I posted below -- it seems to add depth to the look.

Yes, that ubiquitous hunting sporran, which I also have and enjoy wearing. Though the cantle is nickel and more blue in tone' I think it adds more to the gritty utilitarian look of these sporrans, their larger vertical profile and studs competing the image.

Last edited by HighlandPark; 11-27-2018 at 09:15 AM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote