Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default If you see a good price somewhere

Alright, this is one of those things were I feel like it's "damned if you do, guilty if you don't" ...

I ran across a pretty impressive price for a certain piping item that I know is proving to be quite popular. I really wanted to take the plunge, but the price just didn't seem to justify the expense. I had a certain threshold in mind though, and if I ever saw a price around or below that amount, then I'd go for it.

Well, I found it .. ordered skeptically, and it arrived yesterday, precisely as expected/advertised. It's at least $100 US below all other retailers.

I kinda want to announce my findings for the benefit of others, BUT .. I do recognize that many of these retailers have a tough time making any sort of return with these shops. So as much as I'd like to help fellow consumers, I don't want to impede the business of "the other guys."

I dunno .. so mostly I'm looking for moderator feedback here. I mean, the price of the object is publicly and readily available for any/all who look ... but ... again, don't want to be perceived as messing with the business needs of retailers, we need them, and so few of them still seem to be afloat.

Thoughts?

Please and thank you.
~Nate
Pppiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: If you see a good price somewhere

You might opt to contact the manufacturer and make sure they are comfortable with the situation. Maybe that retailer isn't supposed to be shipping outside of their designated territory.

Bagpipe supply retailing is a business that I would never want to be in. It's a niche market and the margins are thin. It's a bad combination for making a living.

As for sharing the source, as long as it's legitimate/legal, it's fine in my book.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
You might opt to contact the manufacturer and make sure they are comfortable with the situation. Maybe that retailer isn't supposed to be shipping outside of their designated territory.

Bagpipe supply retailing is a business that I would never want to be in. It's a niche market and the margins are thin. It's a bad combination for making a living.

As for sharing the source, as long as it's legitimate/legal, it's fine in my book.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I did think about that, and decided to send them a message suggesting that THEY utilize the "Industry News" section and mention it. I ended up finding -one- more retailer who is offering nearly as good of a deal, but these particular folks definitely have the best deal, along with very reasonable shipping.

Anyway, I thought that might be a good way to go about it on my end .. at least I tried to get it so that other will easily learn about the deal. Otherwise, like you say, I know how tough it is for a lot of these retailers to make anything .. so I'm thinking I'd rather not meddle in at all, personally anyhow.

Thank you!
~Nate
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:

Andrew
And ... just heard back from the retailer. The said to feel free to tell others on the forum, as they would certainly love for word to get around about their good deals, service, etc.

I'll think on it!

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 12-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tartan thistle is apparently selling Kinnaird reed container thingamajigs for $2.99.

That it?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Tartan thistle is apparently selling Kinnaird reed container thingamajigs for $2.99. That it?
For that to be it, others would have to be selling them for at least $102.99 for him to save $100 US . . .

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #7
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
For that to be it, others would have to be selling them for at least $102.99 for him to save $100 US . . .

Andrew
Ha .. close Patrick, soo soo close. =) It's the Blair Chanter.

Anyway, gave it a lot of thought, and decided to just put it out in announcements. I dunno if it's just a temporary deal? Or maybe the the overall price is starting to come down? I suppose time will tell. In any case, I did my bit for my fellow man/woman.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

I think you did right. If you see a good deal, why not share it?

I shop around when I want to buy something, especially now I live in countries that don't cater to piping supplies. I'd have no qualms about going to the cheaper supplier (that I trust) as I have to factor in exchange rates and shipping.

Vendors have the right to charge what they want, consumers have the right to decide where to spend their money. If you see a good deal I think you're doing the vendor and your friends in the piping world a good service by sharing it.

Good price by the way but still more than I want to spend on that product
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post

Vendors have the right to charge what they want, consumers have the right to decide where to spend their money.
Yep. And normally a vendor will only sell single items for a price they can afford.

If I see an obvious ‘ good deal’ for an item I spread the words sound the bands and students I work with to take advantage of the low pricing.

I recall a few years back when taking written bids for 12 sets of pipes and many other items for each new piper in a new band I was helping get organized . Most vendors were quoting ca $25-$30 for a Korg tuner. One bidder quoted $5. This underscored, of course, it was a loss leader and the balance was spread and buried elsewhere. Others were quoting $125 each or so for several spare pipe chanters...and some down at $65-$75 for the same. Caveat emptor.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
I think you did right. If you see a good deal, why not share it?

I shop around when I want to buy something, especially now I live in countries that don't cater to piping supplies. I'd have no qualms about going to the cheaper supplier (that I trust) as I have to factor in exchange rates and shipping.

Vendors have the right to charge what they want, consumers have the right to decide where to spend their money. If you see a good deal I think you're doing the vendor and your friends in the piping world a good service by sharing it.

Good price by the way but still more than I want to spend on that product
Thanks Bluescottygirl.

And I hear yah. I'd certainly prefer a little less myself, BUT .. I had a fair amount of reasoning going into what I feel is a fair price for what's offered. Of course, my rationale is based on my own personal needs, and honestly, those have actually changed.

For the most part, I've been beyond satisfied with the 1st generation Deger chanter, which I've used extensively since I'd bought it ... what, 11-12 years ago? That was a hefty expense for me, especially at the time. But I must say, it's been invaluable over the years.

The one big issue though has been dry hands. Even in the summer, I find I'm having to apply hand moisturizer ... and in the dry winter, no more than 5 mins goes by before I need to reapply yet again! It's becoming difficult to know if a movement sounds wrong because my fingers aren't doing what they should, or because the sensors aren't picking up my fingers right.

So I definitely view the Blair as being very comparable to the Deger, with pros and cons to each, and all of them minor .. with the exception that the optical sensors (when properly adjusted) on the Blair are far-superior to the Deger. Also, the Blair has a midi interface/controller built-in to the chanter, so it will function as a midi instrument WITH OUT having to buy/use an additional piece of hardware such as an iRig. That adds ~$100 right there.

I now have a very long train commute every day, so being able to squeeze in some effective practice time while en route has been great for me. With the Blair, the effectiveness of this has improved ten-fold.

Anyway, the newer Deger seems to retail around the $500 mark, so along those lines, I agreed that if the Blair is offered near that price point, then "sold." That's precisely what I'd found, and I near fell over trying to get to my card to charge it.

Cheers all,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 12-14-2018 at 06:32 AM.