Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Orig or restored?

A fellow who I'm pretty sure is a member here is selling a superb set of early Hendersons. His auction listing has before and after photos. The set was already in very good condition and required only a general cleaning-up.

My question to pipers out there: which do you prefer, before or after?

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-16-2018 at 06:17 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Orig or restored?

After. If it’s just an oiling, cleanup and wax coat, then you’re now seeing the instrument just as it was when it was made. No history is lost, its simply gotten some long overdue care. Im sure they sound as brilliant as they now appear.

Cheers,
~Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

After. If it’s just an oiling, cleanup and wax coat,..
Im sure they sound as brilliant as they now look.
k
I’d agree. Where’s the sense in appearing with a comparatively disheveled scruffy looking instrument at a ‘dress up’ affair?
Certain Willie, Jack, Gordon,Callum,Angus, Stuart, Yo Yo ,et al don’t.
I won’t either.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

While I do like the look of the restored, were they my set I wouldn’t have bothered to do anything other than clean up the ferrules.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
you’re now seeing the instrument just as it was when it was made.
Yes that's the heart of my question: do you prefer a 100 year old instrument looking just as it was when it was made? Is erasing a century of existence a good thing?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Yes that's the heart of my question: do you prefer a 100 year old instrument looking just as it was when it was made? Is erasing a century of existence a good thing?

That, of course, is up to interpretation. Mine is that if one is to argue that “cleaning up” might be erasing history ... well, where does that end? For instance, if a crack begins one of the pipes, should I not have it whipped as soon as possible to ensure that the instrument remains stable and in good working condition? If I get rained on, and the pipes get soaked, should I not oil them and/or reapply wax to the finish. I would think not.

There are several “histories” or lives at play here ... the primary of which is the history and life of the instrument, and that life is determined by the actions (or inactions) of its owners.

The state of the instrument when it was made ... untarnished, clean, oiled, well hemped, good finish to protect the wood ... all of that, from day one, was done to well
ensure that the instrument would survive long enough to be the subject of this discussion.

So accordingly, in my view, the careful restoration done now might hopefully help to ensure the instrument will continue its life onward for yet another 100 years. Should the instrument prematurely meet its demise (or parts of it) due to the inaction of its owners, and thus cease to forge more history, that ... to me ... would be a tragedy.

You’d called this a “superb” set in your initial post ... so I ask ... what makes this set “superb?” Lack of cracks? Straight bores? Intact fittings?

This set has surely been cared after (though less so over the last decade or two) in order to have survived long enough and yet maintain its “superb” status. Id like to see it remain as such.

Anyway, that’s my take.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

After...a lot of the so called history that is being bandied about is tarnish from cigarette smoke, pollution, rain etc...nothing to fret about.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Had they been kept up and looked after they would look like picture one anyway!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
Had they been kept up and looked after they would look like picture one anyway!

Precisely. Removal of damage/dirt and preventative maintenance does not remove the prior existence of the instrument itself. Rather, it merely recovers it from the neglect it has suffered so that it may live on and continue to do what it was made for ... make music.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Yo yo

Yo Yo??? Sorry, no idea who is might be? Fill me in??