Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
OHpiper
Forum Member

Default Black Watch Glengarry

Me being a newbee and all I'm wondering about the wearing of the Glengarry. Since I don't have a tartan associated with my name, is it permissible for me to wear the Black Watch kilt and the Glengarry or is it reserved for military?
Thanks all..
OHpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Black Watch Glengarry

I don't believe the "Tartan Police" have jurisdiction in Ohio. Black Watch (AKA Government) Tartan is very widely worn by bands an individual pipers who aren't members of the former regiment.

As for the Glengarry- same thing, but I'd avoid wearing a tartan Glengarry- black or navy blue are the most common colors and go with almost any outfit. So, in short, don't sweat it.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
OHpiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I don't believe the "Tartan Police" have jurisdiction in Ohio. Black Watch (AKA Government) Tartan is very widely worn by bands an individual pipers who aren't members of the former regiment.

As for the Glengarry- same thing, but I'd avoid wearing a tartan Glengarry- black or navy blue are the most common colors and go with almost any outfit. So, in short, don't sweat it.
As they say, "works for me".. As for the hat, I don't see any bands or individuals wearing a tartan Glengarry so I'll stick with black.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, OHpiper, and to All,

The 42nd... Black Watch... Government Tartan... is also
known as... The Universal Tartan.

And... it may be worn by anyone... anywhere... anytime... :)

As for what you wear "on top"... glen, balmoral, tam or beret...
black... blue... green... or grey (clerical)... choose and wear
what ever... you may wish!! (It is...entirely... your call. :)

The only sartorial consideration I would offer... and that is to
anyone... who is putting together their own kit and gear (Oh,
dear!! And without proper supervision of a PM!! :) ... is to be
sure... that visually... it all blends together... as it should.

Wishing you the Best of Good Fortune with it... and have a
roarin' grand time of it!! :)

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 AM   #5
OHpiper
Forum Member

[QUOTE

Wishing you the Best of Good Fortune with it... and have a
roarin' grand time of it!!

Pip01

[/QUOTE]
And a roarin' grand time to you as well Since I retired this is the best decision I have made I feel like a kid again...
Old 11-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I presume OP means cap badge, rather than a tartan glengarry, though frankly I've seen worse crimes.

Generally most people who wear regimental capbadges have some sort of connection, be it that they've served themselves, or had family that did, or played in an affiliated band, or simply come from the traditional recruiting area.

More important is that you wear it appropriately, and do not look like a a sort of kilted Christmas tree, laden with accoutrements of all sorts.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHpiper View Post

As they say, "works for me".. As for the hat, I don't see any bands or individuals wearing a tartan Glengarry so I'll stick with black.
If you want BLACK...to go with eg a black jacket ...and youíre buying at a shop...take it outside into daylight to ensure itís indeed black.

Midnight blue glens can look deceivingly black ...until you see it in daylight.

Personally....Iíd go with the blue if wearing with a BW kilt.

Whichever....get one with a Ď made in scotlandí label in it. Mackie & Co. is tops.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

First, about traditional Highland bonnets, they were (and are) blue, not black.

Robert Mackie, I think the oldest traditional bonnet maker in Scotland, has long made blue bonnets for the army and for the civilian trade.

The blue is extremely dark, similar to Navy and Police uniforms, and it often mistaken for black.

Mackie also makes black bonnets which IMHO are intended for wearing with civilian black Prince Charlie and Argyll jackets. In the army blue bonnets are worn with dark green doublets, blue doublets, khaki jackets, and so forth. (Highland regiments neither wear black jackets or bonnets.)

There is, perhaps, not a Pipe Band on earth that doesn't have a mix of black and blue bonnets in its ranks! You often have to see them in direct sunlight to tell them apart.

About the Black Watch tartan, it is also used as a Clan tartan for Clan Campbell.

I will say that the idea that Glengarries are "military" is a modern one. In Victorian times Glengarries were extremely popular bonnets for civilians. There was no "military" inference; civilian bonnets existed in two popular forms, Glengarries and Balmorals.

About Black Watch regimental Glengarries, be aware that the cap badge is attached directly on the hat and there is no cockade (the ribbon thing). Black Watch Glengarries are dark blue with a scarlet tourie and are NOT worn with the Red Hackle (or any other sort of hackle or feather).

Time for pretty pictures!

Black Glengarries and jackets, no? No. Archer Green coatees, blue Glengarries.

18th century army officer in "government" tartan. The original signed painting, seen here, hangs in the Los Angeles Museum of Art. An unsigned copy is in the possession of the National Museums Scotland.

The original Glengarry bonnet?

A civilian wearing kilt and jacket in Black Watch tartan

Highland outfit in Victorian times: Glengarry, tweed jacket, non-matching waistcoat, long hair sporran in Day Dess, check tweed kilt with contrasting selvedge, civilian spats.

Another typical Victorian Highlander: Glengarry, long "Saxon" style jacket, long hair sporran, ankle boots

Tweed non-tartan kilt, Glengarry, double-breasted waistcoat, civilian spats

This gent looks very comfortable in his attire. Glengarry, tweed, spats.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:25 AM   #9
OHpiper
Forum Member

pancelticpiper, thanks for the history lesson, the pics are awesome!
Many thanks to everyone else as well!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

..the chap in BW kilt and jacket might be mistaken for a chaise in a murky pub...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote